Maestronet Forums

Giovanni Gammuto?????

Mike_D30

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've said, I've been burned. I was perhaps a bit more naive then, so the lesson cost me some money and a bit of dis-illusion, always rough on the ego. But I continue to maintain a lack of deep sympathy for those who don't even try, then cry.

Many luthiers I've spoken to consider that applying polish to a violin is not only unnecessary, but can be counterproductive. (Polish in a crack can prevent glue from adhering; some polishes contail abrasives which degrade varnish, ar solvents which do likewise).

I suspect there exists threads about this somewhere; personally too lazy to search.

Not to totally throw this discussion off track, but: the gentleman in question is selling some polish on line. Does anyone know anything good or bad about this polish? TNX, DF

At least this polish is admittedly made of imported ingredients. Must be better than that domestic crap most of us use. Can polish that is made of "imported" ingredients be safe to use on his "domestic" violins? :)

Not to totally throw this discussion off track, but: the gentleman in question is selling some polish on line. Does anyone know anything good or bad about this polish? TNX, DF

So let me see if I've got this straight - you've read that the man has tried passing off others instruments as his own, you've read about the man's other doubtful practices; yet you still contemplate giving him your money for something he's advertising online?

If that's so, then I'm with Bob on this one as far as lack of sympathy goes. Beyond that I'm simply stunned and left speechless...

Neil

Gammuto is a blatant fraud whose deceptive actions could be detected by even a child. The most disconcerting part of this story comes in the way that Laurie Niles initially handled the situation. One would think that a self proclaimed "investigative reporter" would have been able to see through "Giovanni" T. Gammuto, T for transparent. Violinist.com has gone down quite a few pegs in my book.

I just learned to my dismay that I too was banned from V.com for a post there. I was shocked to say the least, since I didn't even express any opinion about the person being discussed at all. I believe my transgression was directly disagreeing with the editor, who stated in the post immediately preceeding mine that "Frauds are people who try to pass off cheap factory fiddles as Strads and charge $800,000 for them." I disagreed with this sentiment, and stated that sometimes small frauds can be even more insideous. I was voicing support for the legitimacy of the discussion, but didn't express any opinion whatsoever that the individual in question had done such a thing.

I was shocked by that treatment of you, too. It was a highly authoritarian thing for the site owner to do, and completely inappropriate. It totally curdled any desire I might ever have had to deal with her in any way.

Yep, it was a nonsensical thing for one of the Niles to say (could have sworn it was her husband, Robert, who made that post, but am too lazy to check). I got the strong impression that they were going to defend their advertiser come what may and would brook no criticism of him whatsoever. I had a mild chuckle when they finally and very meekly announced that Gammuto was no longer part of their site, while at the same time they made no apology for their stance and defence of him. Of course, no apology or acknowledgement was forthcoming to those who'd been right all along. C'est la vie.

Neil

PS: Wonder if I'll now be bounced from their site to.

Thanks for the voice of support Bean. I've sent two polite e-mails to the editor to try and resolve the matter, but haven't even received the courtesy of a reply. I was a memebr there since 2004, never said anything even remotely controversial, and was bounced for two sentences that didn't even mention the person being discussed. The irony is that they themselves publicly announced that they felt he wasn't trustworthy enough to have a business relationship with, which is a more direct and unambiguous accusation than I ever made.

Thanks for the voice of support Bean. I've sent two polite e-mails to the editor to try and resolve the matter, but haven't even received the courtesy of a reply. I was a memebr there since 2004, never said anything even remotely controversial, and was bounced for two sentences that didn't even mention the person being discussed. The irony is that they themselves publicly announced that they felt he wasn't trustworthy enough to have a business relationship with, which is a more direct and unambiguous accusation than I ever made.

I'm considering writing a letter to the editor of The Strad magazine detailing this ordeal including the actions of Laurie Niles. It need to be published.

I'm considering writing a letter to the editor of The Strad magazine detailing this ordeal including the actions of Laurie Niles. It need to be published.

I think as an additional measure it would be appropriate to report this Gammuto fellow to the attorney general within the state his business is operated out of.

Adriane Todes from the Strad will give Laurie and Robert Niles good + points, and I hope this forum a minus for allow defamation and a turn into a "bedraggeled" corner. Mr. Holmes you should think about!

Let's sum this up: Mr. Gammuto has been found to put up pictures of violins that he has for sale that belong to other makers. On this point he has blamed an outside source for the mistake, not personally, but through other persons making a post. He is depressed and can't believe the negative response, so others stand up for him. He sells more than 200 instruments that are hand made each year according to his feedback on ebay. That kind of output is not feasible for a single maker. He is questioned on this site and violinist.com about possibly using Chinese white violins and responds with threats of hiring a lawyer. Violinist.com drops him as a sponsor. Mr.yx, who has several Guarneris and strads for sale in Alabama chimes in that we are all wrong and that Strad magazine will find that we are all "bedraggled". Is this accurate?

Let's sum this up: Mr. Gammuto has been found to put up pictures of violins that he has for sale that belong to other makers. On this point he has blamed an outside source for the mistake, not personally, but through other persons making a post. He is depressed and can't believe the negative response, so others stand up for him. He sells more than 200 instruments that are hand made each year according to his feedback on ebay. That kind of output is not feasible for a single maker. He is questioned on this site and violinist.com about possibly using Chinese white violins and responds with threats of hiring a lawyer. Violinist.com drops him as a sponsor. Mr.yx, who has several Guarneris and strads for sale in Alabama chimes in that we are all wrong and that Strad magazine will find that we are all "bedraggled". Is this accurate?

I don't think "Mr. yx" is who you think he is. The man who's an expert at finding hitherto unrecognised examples of major makers' work is a native speaker of English. "Mr. yx" seems to have an East-Asian language as his mother tongue.

I don't think "Mr. yx" is who you think he is. The man who's an expert at finding hitherto unrecognised examples of major makers' work is a native speaker of English. "Mr. yx" seems to have an East-Asian language as his mother tongue.

+++++++++++++++++++

I have read most the posts of this thread on the subject of Mr. G's violin. Do we really care if Mr. G 's violins were made by his assistants

with his supervision? (we assume that his assitant is not as good as he. I don't know where is the assumpton from)

For argument sake, if I buy a violin for $900, I would expect its value to be $900 or somewhat close enough . if it is $7,000 I would

expect it works like $7,000 (good in higher registers) and looks like $7,000 (Strad, or Vuillaume's look) If I am not sure I would depend on someone who is more knowledgeable in

evaluating a violin to tell me so. In short, I would not accept the seller's advertising as truth without third party's opinion..

Is there something wrong about Chinese white violin? If there is, it is the person who chooses it.

White violins come in many gardes and from many countries.

If you have an old violin, most likely it has been re-worked many times. Bassbar replaced or repaired, pegs holes

bushed , neck extended, nothing original about.

Adriane Todes from the Strad will give Laurie and Robert Niles good + points, and I hope this forum a minus for allow defamation and a turn into a "bedraggeled" corner. Mr. Holmes you should think about!

Mr.yx,

I have no idea how or what Ariane Todes would feel or do... and unless you've asked her, I very much doubt you know either.

It really doesn't make much difference anyway. I moderate the site, not her, nor you. My opinion is that if this forum has threads that resemble Hyde Park corner at times, I think it's a small price to pay for what is to be gained. That doesn't mean I enjoy all of it.

In other words, I don't necessarily agree or disagree with other posters viewpoints, although I do attempt to keep the "lid on" so that those who have opinions have an opportunity to voice them. If my moderation style were different, I might remove a few members posts from this thread, very possibly yours among them.

I have not criticized Laurie and Robert. I have mentioned, both on this site and theirs, that these are different environments. That's a good thing, I believe, as if they were the same environments, we'd need only one. They are moderated in different styles.

My suggestion to you is to read what I myself have written a bit more carefully before you, yourself, criticize. If you have a problem with my style of moderation, I suggest you simply don't participate.

Cheers.