Sign in to follow this  
musicgirl

relaxing when playing

i have noticed that when i am playing the violin that my left hand is not entirely relaxed, especially when i get to a faster passage. it just seems to me that i have to push down the string so hard to make sure the note will come out ok. my left hand tenses up pretty bad and makes it difficult to feel relaxed and move smoothly. this also happens to my right hand, it doesn't feel as free when bowing, mostly when i get to fast 8th or 16th notes... is there any excersise that can help make my hands more relaxed or does it just take time...??? thanx smile.gif

Check out my "Excersises to keep fingers Limber" thread, a lot of people gave me some good excersises for doing just that, it might help you out as well.

Pole

Experiment with the bow-hand:

Play easy single notes, concentrating on how the bow is moving across the string and on how evenly the string is vibrating. Alter finger pressure and right arm movement and height until the bow movement is smoothest. Avoid squashing down on the bow with your right hand - this might temporarily even out irregularities in the bow movement, but it produces a dead tone and leads to tension if it becomes habitual.

Spend as long as it takes on this experimenting. Use this opportunity to observe how free or tense all your body parts are, especially wrists, elbows, shoulders, back and neck. Listen to the sound, it will change when you are improving.

Marianne

This is a general relaxation recommendation: A lot of times, when you tense up you don't just tense up in a local area, but all over, and you wind up looking like one of those 19th-century charactatures of Paganini. Watch yourself in a mirror. Don't hunch up. When you find yourself shrinking or "losing height," relax your neck, hold your head up, and try keeping your chest open.

I don't know if that'll keep your left hand out of cramp, but it's good for your back.

Hope this helps,

Trent

First do some simple tension relaxation exercises away from the violin - tense the hand tightly, then relax it completely - I know this sounds elementary, but many people do not really know how to deeply relax muscles. This will give you the feeling of relaxing muscles and how to make it happen (its also good for the entire body, tensing and relaxing the various muscle groups). Then practice Schradieck, stopping and relaxing the hand whenever it gets tight. It really takes very little pressure to stop a string, but you do want to pop them down with a bit of velocity (careful, no tension, and do not press them into the string)