Maestronet Forums

200 years old?

Stringslvr

Hm. I watch ebay with laughter and sometimes incredulity (is that a word?) .... this instrument is 200 years old, according to its written appraisal. Can you see anything that refutes or confirms this?

*edit: my link isn't working....... it is Item number: 180294695861

No idea about the age but there are a lot of (repaired?) cracks in the top. Not sure it's in such good condition.

bean fidhlier--I'm not finding the soundpost crack...

Similar to this ebay one maybe? 220119882880

Maybe not, its hard to tell from the pics, but I have a Strnad labelled one that has a lot of similarities to this one, only darker varnish. Two good appraisers called it early 19th century Czech.

$44,000? I thought Strnads were around $5-$10,000? Hm.

You're right, the shape seems very similar... though it's hard to say for sure because of the angled/partial pictures.

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=180294695861

It's probably nothing but a varnish hiccup. I see a little crescent-shaped blip over near the left edge of the enlarged photo whose thumbnail is right col, 2nd down. The mark is at the transition from strong edge color to pale center color. It's at about 2 o'clock from that rather pale dot very near the edge of the photo in the strong color (lousy description, I suppose, but I don't think I can do better).

It's probably nothing but a varnish hiccup. I see a little crescent-shaped blip over near the left edge of the enlarged photo whose thumbnail is right col, 2nd down. The mark is at the transition from strong edge color to pale center color. It's at about 2 o'clock from that rather pale dot very near the edge of the photo in the strong color (lousy description, I suppose, but I don't think I can do better).

Ah! Excellent mapping directions, now I've found it. I am not sure though; pictures are too hard to judge by. Thanks!

Hm. I watch ebay with laughter and sometimes incredulity (is that a word?) .... this instrument is 200 years old, according to its written appraisal. Can you see anything that refutes or confirms this?

*edit: my link isn't working....... it is Item number: 180294695861

This looks alot like a German Juzek I have. It's no older than sixty years. Either way, I wouldn't pay four hundred clams for it. I'm sure there are people who believe that just because an item is being bid on, means it is worth something, then they go and bid it further, along with other people of the same mindset. Just because an item is being bid on, doesn't mean it's a steal that a knowledgeable person is trying to scoop up.

Similar to this ebay one maybe? 220119882880

Maybe not, its hard to tell from the pics, but I have a Strnad labelled one that has a lot of similarities to this one, only darker varnish. Two good appraisers called it early 19th century Czech.

Not only is that seller completely ignorant in regards to violins, he's/she's also arrogant, as referenced by the price of the fiddle.

Look at this. I guess that's it. Try to sell a fiddle for forty-two hundred times what it's worth, then constantly neglect or reject offers, and you will have buyers clamoring for your product. If the violin was mine, I would shoot myself if any of those offers were for over five hundred dollars. I mean seriously, how can you be so arrogant to not even decline eBay offers, and just let them expire? It looks like some were from the same buyer, which means they upped the ante with the offer price. It will be funny if that person takes the fiddle to a luthier.

I think that is only, like you said, a varnish "hiccup".

$44,000? I thought Strnads were around $5-$10,000? Hm.

You're right, the shape seems very similar... though it's hard to say for sure because of the angled/partial pictures.

Thanks!

It's funny how both ignorant crooks and "smart" crooks use angled/partial shots. I'm sure the ignorant people don't use partial pictures to purposefully hide things, but just because they think such pictures are "artistic", and perhaps they also think that due to the photos being "artistic", such pics make the instrument look better. I'm serious.

It's funny how both ignorant crooks and "smart" crooks use angled/partial shots. I'm sure the ignorant people don't use partial pictures to purposefully hide things, but just because they think such pictures are "artistic", and perhaps they also think that due to the photos being "artistic", such pics make the instrument look better. I'm serious.

Ick!

Just for fun, I asked the seller for a copy of the appraisal, and I received it; however all the pertinent info (who appraised it) was marked out. so anybody could have typed up what I saw. I'm married to an appraiser~~ he doesn't allow anyone to make copies unless they copy it "in full."

Ick!

Just for fun, I asked the seller for a copy of the appraisal, and I received it; however all the pertinent info (who appraised it) was marked out. so anybody could have typed up what I saw. I'm married to an appraiser~~ he doesn't allow anyone to make copies unless they copy it "in full."

Thanks for updating us. An arrogant seller indeed!