top crack right above bass bar

shsu

I accidentally cracked the top next to the left upper eye. The crack is about 1 1/2 inches long, right above the bass bar to be installed. The crack is only half way thru the thickness from outside. I glued the crack with clamps. Do I need internal cleats prior to install the bass bar? Thanks.

What a downer... sorry to hear about the 1"crack. I'm not going to pretend to know the answer to your question, but just offer a thought.

If the crack is straight (you've glued it) and the bass bar is running right over the crack, the bar might act like a cleat on its own. So, in that case... no cleat necessary?

It's also possible to put the bar over any cleats that you put down. Jeffery and a few others had some great images of chalk fitting a bar over cleats. I actually had to do it, and it wasn't too painful.

It's also possible to put the bar over any cleats that you put down. Jeffery and a few others had some great images of chalk fitting a bar over cleats. I actually had to do it, and it wasn't too painful.

I can't say if this case needs it or not (my long distance x-ray vision isn't working too well), but the way I usually do it (cleats under bar) is to chalk fit the bar first, then apply the cleats, then relieve the bar to fit over the cleats before gluing it in place.

I can't say if this case needs it or not (my long distance x-ray vision isn't working too well), but the way I usually do it (cleats under bar) is to chalk fit the bar first, then apply the cleats, then relieve the bar to fit over the cleats before gluing it in place.

Best to go ahead and re-enforce the crack. Taking the minutes it would take now could save you hours in the future.

Thanks guys.

Any ideas where the cleats should be placed? Under the bridge foot?

If possible, I'd try to avoid the bridge foot myself. Try laying out possible locations for the cleats starting with the two outer ones just beyond the edges of the crack, spaced evenly. Shouldn't need many (one more?) with a crack as short as you mentioned.