Sign in to follow this  
rb_quebec

Pictures of my last Montagnana model cello

Hi everyboby !

Here's some pictures of my latest cello. I am really happy with the result and the cellist is also really happy to play with it.

Please send comments about it.

Richard

post-23513-1222687072_thumb.jpg

post-23513-1222687089_thumb.jpg

post-23513-1222687100_thumb.jpg

post-23513-1222687110_thumb.jpg

post-23513-1222687119_thumb.jpg

post-23513-1222687139_thumb.jpg

post-23513-1222687146_thumb.jpg

post-23513-1222687154_thumb.jpg

post-23513-1222687162_thumb.jpg

post-23513-1222687175_thumb.jpg

post-23513-1222687184_thumb.jpg

post-23513-1222687204_thumb.jpg

Lovely. What's the varnish?

I've prepared 2 varnishes for this cello. I've used a Colophony/Linseed oil ligthly colored varnish after the wood preparation and a Colophony/Mastix/Venetian Turpentine/Linseed oil colored varnish for the colored coats. I've made the first varnish by simply cooking it and the second one was also cooked but I've made a reaction with Nitric Acid to get more color (a little dangerous :) ). I've added some pigments to the colored coats to get the colour that I've wanted, but a really really small amout of it.

Richard

Crisp and classy, I'll go along with that. The scroll and the corners are that for sure. I'm not into scrolls but I could be if they all looked like that. I'm doing a Montagnana violin right now and the corner shots will be my guide. Very nicely done!

Yes, it looks excellent, well done.

I'm interested in other maker's methods, and the time they take, etc.

How long did it take for all the wood working ?

How many coats of varnish did you apply ?

Cheers.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your comments and questions. I don't know how much time I've exactly worked on this cello because I am working for someone else in the Restoration of string instruments during the week and that I've made this cello during the weekends when I've had the time to do so. I guess 600 hours.... There's approximately 6 thin coats of varnish (5 to 7) on this cello.

Bye,

Richard

Crisp and classy, I'll go along with that. The scroll and the corners are that for sure. I'm not into scrolls but I could be if they all looked like that. I'm doing a Montagnana violin right now and the corner shots will be my guide. Very nicely done!

Hi Ken number 2 !

Don't use the pictures of my corners to make your Montagnana model violin if you want to respect the style of Montagnana corners. I've used a Montagnana model to make this cello, but I did not respected the style of his work. My cello is too cleanly made to respect his style. Search a little bit on internet to find pictures of violins made by him when you want to copy the style of his work. It's sometimes a little crude what he made, but surely interesting. I don't have the courage to work like him at the moment. Thanks for your comments.

Richard

Richard, a very nice cello, I'm sure the owner loves playing it (I'm a cellist myself, and it looks like an instrument one likes to play)

I was going to comment on what you said yourself, the work is maybe (a little too) clean. I feel especially the shape of the peg box (which looks a little too sterile/modern to me for some reason, don't know exactly why) and the scroll, which has this deeper (too refined to be Italian) cut, I'm sure you know what I mean, (I'm only a cellist and not a maker I've no clue what its called officially) are too cleanly done and for some reason don't look like they'd belong to this cello, a rather bold and big model.

But otherwise, I really like the instrument, how does it sound?

Richard, what a beautiful instrument. Wonderful long corners and a beautiful back. Very nice clean work.

Chris

You're right ! The corners are a little bit long !

Thanks Chris

Richard, a very nice cello, I'm sure the owner loves playing it (I'm a cellist myself, and it looks like an instrument one likes to play)

I was going to comment on what you said yourself, the work is maybe (a little too) clean. I feel especially the shape of the peg box (which looks a little too sterile/modern to me for some reason, don't know exactly why) and the scroll, which has this deeper (too refined to be Italian) cut, I'm sure you know what I mean, (I'm only a cellist and not a maker I've no clue what its called officially) are too cleanly done and for some reason don't look like they'd belong to this cello, a rather bold and big model.

But otherwise, I really like the instrument, how does it sound?

Hi Baroquecello !

I agree with you and some collegues mentionned the same thing about the sterility of the pegbox. It was exactly the term used by a big violin expert and restorer of Germany that saw this cello. You really have good eyes for a musician ! You're comments are really good and helpful.

The sound is beautiful particularly on the bass side ! Powerful and rich. I am really happy with the result.

Richard

Very impressive work Richard! Thanks for sharing.

Hi Daryl,

I must say that I am also "secretly" really impress by your really nice work (Seen some pictures). Continue to make so nice instruments. I hope that I'll hold one of your instrument one day in my hands to look at it precisely

Thanks a lot,

Richard