Maestronet Forums

JTL violin?

germanbeckham

I have been looking at this violin. What scares me is the "question" at the bottom of the page, and that the seller is in the United Kingdom.

"Q: you may be interested to know that the number 9 signifies the highest grade of inst. made by the JTL shop. cheers, w terry

A: Hi there , thank you for the information and its very interesting to know this. Kind regards JK"

That looks like the seller is trying to prop up the bidding.

Anyway, the reason I was attracted to the violin in the first place, is that I like the orange varnished used on the instrument. What do you guys think? Is it worth the shipping risk?

Edit: Also, that seller is selling a bunch of bows and a couple other violins, some that I am interested in. His sales are private, and he has bought a couple of Mike Tyson videos recently, of which, one DVD was titled, "The Mike Tyson Story". :)

I wonder what the rest of the label said... I don't think it's the highest grade of JTL.

I prefer the other, unlabelled one:

Violin

The number 9 on a JTL violin could mean anything,they sold dozens of models often in a different named series ,most have letter abbreviations as well as numbers .Each series had an abbreviation such as Lutherie Vosgienne which would be LV followed by a number/s these went up to LV12,sometimes with numbers missing i.e no LV11. Sarasate Amati models were numbered SAR 1,2,6,8,14,15,17,18,19 and 20.So you can see that without knowing the series or model, a number 9,by itself is meaningless as far as identification goes.

I have been looking at this violin. What scares me is the "question" at the bottom of the page, and that the seller is in the United Kingdom.

Yes UK sellers are very scary.

This violin is typical, average JTL work, I have seen several looking pretty much like that( one piece back shaded varnish etc.) with just the no6 and nothing else, also no.6 with the little JTL logo of the lyre. In fact I have two similar small size instruments with that 6.

Nothing to get excited about, especially with those front cracks.

Yes UK sellers are very scary.

This violin is typical, average JTL work, I have seen several looking pretty much like that( one piece back shaded varnish etc.) with just the no6 and nothing else, also no.6 with the little JTL logo of the lyre. In fact I have two similar small size instruments with that 6.

Nothing to get excited about, especially with those front cracks.

Were you being sarcastic when you said UK sellers are very scary? Seeing as you are from there and all.

Do you think the violin, repaired, is worth a couple thousand USD? I thought all JTL instruments (excluding the amazing "Eureka") were nice workshop violins.

Are JTL tickets ever faked? I always thought so. I don't need a fiddle worth more than at most three thousand dollars. I think that buying an instrument online for much less than it is worth is the majority of the fun of eBay.

Lastly, does anyone know of a luthier in Texas wanting an apprentice? Although I have not taken lessons yet, I am a teenager very interested in the construction and history of violins, in addition to appreciating a good fiddle's beauty.

"I thought all JTL instruments (excluding the amazing "Eureka") were nice workshop violins."

The only "Eureka" violins I've seen are German violins sold by Lyon & Healy.

"Are JTL tickets ever faked?"

I doubt it. Most JTLs are very cheap violins not worth faking.

Oh yeah! Sorry about the Eureka thing. I completely forgot.

What about the Barnabetti instruments from JTL?

What are they grades (and the adjoining tickets) for Lyon & Healy violins, and any other importer you can think of (Tonk Brothers, for instance)?

Thanks