Maestronet Forums

Perfection pegs and glue.

polkat

I've only installed three sets of Perfections but I've never used any glue either. The only drawback I've seen is that over time if the fit loosens, the peg will twist tighter in the hole when it's tuned. It usually only happens when you're trying to slacken the string. It feels funny when it happens because the string will suddenly slacken at the regular peg rate and require much more turning to tighten again because of the gear reduction.

Currently this is happening on just one of my fiddles. It may be because of the fact that the pegbox is made of very old wood that has just been recently carved. It's still settling in to it's new form and it's new climate. The walls are a little thinner than normal too. So far, the pegs might have slipped an additional half-turn more than installed depth. Lately, they've stopped twisting and haven't shifted at all. More than eight months without an event may mean they're through. If it makes it through the winter dryout, that should be it.

Okay, the manufacturer says poly, BarryD says CA but thinks it's not necessary, and the Captain says none and crugwaffle agrees. Hummm...... They will be going into boxwood bushings. That make any difference?

The inventor suggests polyurethane glue. It works well, and the pegs are removable afterwards. Why not follow the instructions from the man who knows more about them than anyone else?

The inventor suggests polyurethane glue. It works well, and the pegs are removable afterwards. Why not follow the instructions from the man who knows more about them than anyone else?

I totally aggree, and this is reversable if one does not get carried away with the glue. just a meeger amount on the threads when installing, and I clean up with water and Q-tip swab. Best results are to clean up a couple of times as glue starts to expand this also speeds up glue set up. I also wet the peg hole before I finally screw in peg.

Reversability? Definitely, get a solder iron and heat up peg, grab with a delicate channel lock with a piece of leather if you don't to mar the finish of the peg head. I keep a steady pressure as to get by with just enough heat so as not to damage varnish.

Mike

I installed a set of Pegheds that screw into the holes. I used no glue. The trick is to open the holes to the point where you can screw the pegs in with your fingers - no wrenches!! (I did use a rubber jar lid remover to protect my fingers and get a good grip.) The peg threads (right handed for G and D, left handed for A and E) cannot slip once into place. I guess they can slip if you did not thread the pegs all the way in. In that case you would need a spot of glue.

Mike

I installed a set of Pegheds that screw into the holes. I used no glue. The trick is to open the holes to the point where you can screw the pegs in with your fingers - no wrenches!! (I did use a rubber jar lid remover to protect my fingers and get a good grip.) The peg threads (right handed for G and D, left handed for A and E) cannot slip once into place. I guess they can slip if you did not thread the pegs all the way in. In that case you would need a spot of glue.

Mike

Mike

I hope you understand that I only used a delicate pair of vise grips when taking them off, never to put on. "no wrenches!" I do this to protect my fingers and to keep a steady pressure on only using as much heat a needed so varnish does not get damaged. I have only taken off one set and it was not beacause they were bad. I have put on maybe 15 sets since there introduction so I don't consider myself an authority, just someone who is willing to share what worked for me. They came off and were reusable and the fiddle was not damaged.

Mike