Maestronet Forums

Glier

Jeny Mahon

I just got this over the weekend. Any comments, particularly on the varnish? Or lack thereof, perhaps? I looked at a few on Tarisio and and this one looks a titch anemic in comparison.

Also, it's probably a shop bow, but if that's a Keith Bearden, this package could get a lot more interesting!

I will post an update when I get it.

Glier

My first thought was "stripped and re-varnished". But that's partly because I think of that straw yellow as not having been used til the '20s or so, the '80s favoring a darker brown. But if the seller's right about Glier having used that color, maybe it's original. The texture really doesn't look original, either, though - the varnish looks gooped-on as though by an amateur.

Yep, that's exactly what we were thinking. "Stripped n dipped" as my luthier likes to say :) Glier did use gold, but it looks a lot different than this gold, and is done considerably better. It's OK though, we bought it knowing it was probably refinished (hence the low price). I think with restoration of the varnish in Glier style it will look a lot better.

I just got this over the weekend. Any comments, particularly on the varnish? Or lack thereof, perhaps? I looked at a few on Tarisio and and this one looks a titch anemic in comparison.

Also, it's probably a shop bow, but if that's a Keith Bearden, this package could get a lot more interesting!

I will post an update when I get it.

Glier

++++++++++++++

I can see a long crack near the f-hole at right. Does it matter to sound ?

To answer the crack question, it looks to me like there is one under each sound hole, but they claim one of them is a scratch... of course we'll see when it gets here. As far as I know, if a crack like that one is well repaired it shouldn't matter too much.

And yep, my luthier told me Glier bought French instruments, but this doesn't look French to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey y'all, well the story is, it is definitely re-finished, (there are all sorts of traces of the original red varnish) and overcoated with what looks like shellac, or something... it's soluable in alcohol. There is a back crack, (yep that whole line is a crack), but fortunately not in the sound post area. Then a few good ones on top, but also not soundpost or bassbar cracks. All in all, it was exactly what it appeared to be, and what we fully expected. It is 100% Glier, no question. But somebody did mess with the label as the seller stated. The plan is to re-visit the repairs to the cracks, strip the glop back most of the way, then re-varnish it in the correct color and style. In the end, as the seller mentioned, it will sell as a player's instrument, being devalued by the varnish and back crack, but it's still a great American fiddle and I hope it sounds good.

As for the two bows, one is indeed a Swiss bow that was stamped and one is German, both nickel mounted, but between the two, retail value they're probably twice what we paid for the whole outfit so we're happy with it all around.

This is one of now about 28 or so fiddles I've innundated my friend and his shop with (more than that over the years but currently about 28!), so it may be awhile before it's ready. When it is, I will post the before and after photos!