Post About Stradivarius v Guarnerius violins

Have a look at the recording James Ehnes just made featuring violins and violas from the Fulton Collection which includes the Lord Wilton del Gesu, half a dozen Strads and the Conte Vitale viola. Comes with a nice dvd featuring interviews and live performances of each instrument along with some very nice images

Honestly? -- I can hear only minor differences between the violins (the violas are easier to pick -- especially the da Salo). They all sound like James Ehnes -- which is excellent by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From your interesting book on del Gesu and Amati making practices we can read: The “Cannon” is commensurately thick in the belly, one of the few examples that still exceeds 3 mm. (Stradivari favoured a table thickness of between 2.7 mm and 2.4 mm.) These strong thicknesses extend perhaps most crucially to the edges of the centre bouts. This seems to be a particular source of strength in Del Gesù’s instruments and may be of significance to the distinctive

quality of his sound.

What do you mean with "distictive quality of his sound"?

Yes, I stand before you all; a broken man. I would like to blame this on someone else. This was written 25 years ago; I was a child. I was tired, I was ill, I was having wife and pubescent children troubles. How could I possibly have said this? Maybe what I should have said is that thicker violins tend to ... No there I go again. You got me fare and square and clean. You b......!

Just believe what I said last month, not what I wrote in 1994 (was it really that long ago?)

From your interesting book on del Gesu and Amati making practices we can read: The “Cannon” is commensurately thick in the belly, one of the few examples that still exceeds 3 mm. (Stradivari favoured a table thickness of between 2.7 mm and 2.4 mm.) These strong thicknesses extend perhaps most crucially to the edges of the centre bouts. This seems to be a particular source of strength in Del Gesù’s instruments and may be of significance to the distinctive quality of his sound.

What do you mean with "distictive quality of his sound"?

Yes, I stand before you all; a broken man. I would like to blame this on someone else. This was written 25 years ago; I was a child. I was tired, I was ill, I was having wife and pubescent children troubles. How could I possibly have said this? Maybe what I should have said is that thicker violins tend to ... No there I go again. You got me fare and square and clean. You b......!

Just believe what I said last month, not what I wrote in 1994 (was it really that long ago?)

Maybe "distinctive sound" should apply specifically to the Cannon, as each violin has a distinctive sound, and the Cannon especially so. Maybe Roger's generalization, in one sentence, was broader than intended. Roger's last sentence works just fine if restated as: This seems to be a particular source of strength in the Cannon and may be of significance to the distinctive quality of the Cannon's sound.

Not that it matters, but I do see meaningful aspects in both perspectives. Been around fiddles enough to know that they are all different, but there can be some similarities too. But that does not need to go along makers lines.

I like the honesty in Rodgers posts, sometimes with self irony. Makes me trust and believe what he writes.

Not that it matters, but I do see meaningful aspects in both perspectives. Been around fiddles enough to know that they are all different, but there can be some similarities too. But that does not need to go along makers lines.

I like the honesty in Rodgers posts, sometimes with self irony. Makes me trust and believe what he writes.

Golfers learn to penalize themselves whether they want to or not. :D