Sign in to follow this  
martina hawe

kind of del Gesu

Hi

Before the thread dissapears into the depth of MN archives :)

No, I havn´t turned into a vln :) I have had it in the UV for a week or so to get suntan

Ben, I don´t really know how long it took me to make it... lots of thought went into it before starting, that took a while.

Bone nut and saddle was something I used on baroque vln and I liked it, I thought it would go well with those fittings.

thanks for your comments

Martina

I like it a lot. I was wondering though, what don't you like about it that makes you call it "kind of del Gesu"? I don't know enough about the styles of each maker to pick them out. I overdo some of the traits I see. For instance, my del Gesu "Allard" has a very wide c bout because I thought he made them wider. Didn't measure it, but it looks wide. What makes you cringe when you see it on your Lord Wilton?

I was thinking of bone nuts earler today, since the dust is not black and would not stain the belly wood so easily.

Next instrument I'll try it.

Is this the normal process for inserting the saddle? For some reason I was under the impression (mistakenly, I'm supposing) that some makers will inlay the saddle after the violin has been varnished.

Is this the normal process for inserting the saddle? For some reason I was under the impression (mistakenly, I'm supposing) that some makers will inlay the saddle after the violin has been varnished.
I prefer install it after varnishing, it looks neater and no varnish clean-up afterwards. I leave the saddle slightly loose on the sides and fill with bee wax after gluing in place. This help prevent cracking should the wood on the belly shrink or expand from humidity.

dfxr, I put the saddle in after varnishing, but some makers do it before.

I'm trying to reconcile this with your earlier statement that the black ebony stains the wood of the belly. I don't think I follow.

Ok, when I started making violins I used to put the saddle in the violin FIRST, before varnishing.

Now I do it later, like today I just finished a viola and the saddle went in last.

The bone saddles and nuts will make less of a black mess when finishing with wet and dry used wet,

sometimes the ebony dust leaches into the endgrain if you're not being very careful.

The varnish prevents that from happening usually, and a small amount of retouch is not gonna break my back.

I also like the contrast in colour between the bone nut and ebony board.

There are usually more than 3 ways to do everything, blazing saddles aside.