Sign in to follow this  
ursamajor

Tuscan Stradivari Violin

On 7/9/2009 at 2:51 PM, ~ Ben Conover said:

The wing on the left may have looked better on the right since the flames are wider.

It would be interesting if someone would photoshop the back, to see what it would look like with the wings switched.

Don't worry, no one can.. 

Thank you for the great picture Manfio! 

More interesting than the wing imo is the way the flames are better sealed along the purfling... Glue ghost from purfling? Or can it just be from the shark skin finish? 

I'm slightly surprised no one has mentioned the excellent monograph on this particular violin... 

as for the wings, the wood is the same as on the Medici violas and cello of the same year, and for the same order to the Medicis, it seems he was willing to make these compromises in order to achieve a matching set. 

https://www.cremonatools.com/the-1690-tuscan-stradivari-violin-in-the-accademia-of-santa-cecilia.html

On 8/25/2019 at 11:11 AM, Ron1 said:

It would be interesting if someone would photoshop the back, to see what it would look like with the wings switched.

I did it just for laughs.  Might be an improvement if both sides were flipped in addition.

Interesting thing might be the wings are exactly the same width...

tuskymodded.png

1 hour ago, Ben Hebbert said:

I'm slightly surprised no one has mentioned the excellent monograph on this particular violin... 

as for the wings, the wood is the same as on the Medici violas and cello of the same year, and for the same order to the Medicis, it seems he was willing to make these compromises in order to achieve a matching set. 

https://www.cremonatools.com/the-1690-tuscan-stradivari-violin-in-the-accademia-of-santa-cecilia.html

Fantastic book. Urban Luthier mentioned it on page 1. I’m using it now. Quite different cross arching. I also used the varnish analysis to guide my varnish coloring on my last instrument.