Sign in to follow this  
Alex_E

Banks Of The Ohio

The tune (not the story) is one of my favorites, does it still sound as nice if played as a violin solo?

I ask as a non player, but a fan of violin or viola solo music rather than mixed with other instruments, especially in orchestras where the hauntingly beautiful sound of a lone violin is forever lost.

If any member feels so inclined to post a clip of the tune played as a violin solo or can forward it to ellio@wn.com.au, I would be most appreciative.

Is this it?

It's going to be awfully hard for any instrument to rival Olivia's voice!

Yes, that's the one, Olivia's is one of the best versions I've heard.

I picture in my mind what it would sound like with just a solo violin playing in the background and would very much like to find out if my imagining would be matched in realty.

It's here: http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiBNKSOHIO;ttBNKSOHIO.html also. Since it's a blue grass tune, it ought to sound fine on violin/fiddle. Marie's link is nice with the harmony line written out.

All in all, depressing lyrics and an upbeat tune - must be Country or Irish. :)

Unfortunately I can't open Marie's attached PDF file even though I'm using the latest version 9 of Adobe Reader.

Also, I mentioned in my initial post that I'm a non player so what I'm hoping for is that some kind person will actually either post a clip of the tune played as a violin solo or if simpler email it direct to me.

I'd say fiddle solo rather than violin solo is what you're likely looking for. You should be able to find plenty of versions played by bluegrass / oldtime bands on iTunes or other online sources. The two pdfs above are not quite representative, since the first is for two fiddle parts, and the second is the unadorned melody. Fiddlers tend to play great double stops on this tune; my band does it in D rather than C.

Regards,

Dave