Maestronet Forums

Any idea who the maker is?

Jeny Mahon

I find this to be funny: "Until today there is no conclusive consensus among several appraisal experts on who the actual maker is. The half faded label bears the name that ends with ***elli, Giuseppe with the date 1942 (the label also appears to say it was made in Firenze)"

He acts as if this "discovery" is going to change the world: "Until today".

Also, look at the "original" violin. I can see the label quite clearly.

The violins in the back-ground have had the same process used on them as well, by the looks of it. New fittings as well, no doubt.

I will be honest here. I wouldn't mind a quality fiddle with good varnish in that color though. I think it's very pretty.

I find this to be funny: "Until today there is no conclusive consensus among several appraisal experts on who the actual maker is. The half faded label bears the name that ends with ***elli, Giuseppe with the date 1942 (the label also appears to say it was made in Firenze)"

He acts as if this "discovery" is going to change the world: "Until today".

"Until today" is just an unintentionally-misleading literal translation. The meaning is "still", and in English could be left out. "There is no conclusive...."

HTH

"Until today" is just an unintentionally-misleading literal translation. The meaning is "still", and in English could be left out. "There is no conclusive...."

HTH

Whoah! How could I be so blind? The verb used in that sentence is in the present tense! I skimmed over it and thought that the description had stated, "Until today there was no conclusive consensus among several appraisal experts", even after I had copied and pasted the clause.

You are correct, thank you. :)