Maestronet Forums

Any thoughts on this one?

C.B.Fiddler

It'd be nice to know why our Anne is calling it Italian. It might be my memory, but the only stubby corners I can think of from Italy come from Brescia, which I shouldn't think that one's from. To me it looks more from the Tirol. Of course the south Tirol is now part of Italy, so maybe that's it :)

I wouldn't mind buying it, but I'm sure with the "Italian" moniker it'll go for more than I could afford, or would want to given the condition. I agree with you that it looks a nice old thing, though.

too fine to come from Tyrol?

why should quality of workmanship be connected with country of origin? any thoughts?

Looks like an Austrian violin i had.Regarding workmanship levels,i think there are far more German violins with good levels of workmanship than Italians(unless your talking big price instruments)

Hi,

what I meant was that many, or say most of the tyrolean instruments I saw do not have this kind of elegance in the work.

The violin on eBay combines features both of the italian school (for example the edgework and purfling, the graceful scroll, also the composition and texture of the varnish at the rare places where it is preserved) and of the southern German/tyrolean school (for example the stumpy corners). For this reason I decided myself to Northern Italy...

Anne

The violin on eBay combines features both of the italian school (for example the edgework and purfling, the graceful scroll, also the composition and texture of the varnish at the rare places where it is preserved) and of the southern German/tyrolean school (for example the stumpy corners).

Those sound remarkably like what Jacob would point to as indicators for a Bohemian violin.

From the photos, it looks like the violin was crushed and reconstructed.

The close-up of the f-hole has a repair similar to one I had in the shop a few months ago.

post-24063-1217367089_thumb.jpg

I assumed it was something of a one-off repair by someone unfamiliar with violin repair. Seeing the same technique here, I'll have to re-think that one.

FWIW, the outline doesn't look terribly Italian to me, although I do think it is interesting.

Well... We're up to US $1,525.00 with 5 more days left. I would have thought the repairs would have chased away alot of early bidders.

I still like it!

CB

The bidding looks rather odd to me ,there is two bidders in particular .If you look at their bidding starting at 100$ and the times of their bids ,i cant quite work it out.And why they would push the price up so early is beyond me.

quote:

"The instrument is an original Italian instrument/this piece is definitely a high grade Italian masterpiece of finest quality and workmanship/The graceful Italian scroll is especially attractive/The original soft Italian oil varnish is only partially preserved" (Italian)

Italian (Italian/italiano) (look into my eyes, it's ..... ITALIAN!!!)

It (italian)sounds like(Italian) they really believe it...(italian)

I personally see nothing Italian from the pictures, It looks like a typical battered mid to late 18th century germanic violin.

Are those Tecchler-ish f-holes found in Bohemian instruments?

Personally, I haven't a clue, and I find that I am "blind" when it comes to f-holes, I haven't been able to get a handle on them, despite lurking in all the "what is this" threads... Anyway, I was reflecting in general on his pointing out the tendecy of the bohemian makers to mix and match stylistic elements (my interpretation of his posts).

I can say that it is definitely not bohemian. It is my honest opinion that the violin is of (northern) italian origin, and even if I am wrong the instrument is at least a tyrolean piece of work. All of our instruments are generally described to our best knowledge - we're not in a need to pretend something. Oh, and the bidding is real either.

- Anne

Naja, einige finden Spaß wo und wie, nee?

Anne's a nice person, a valued member of the community, so when she offers something for sale, I at least find it interesting even if it's not, by the standards of the well-off :), expensive. And I've no problem with Anne's attribution - Tecchler's work looks rather Tirolisch too, even though made in Venezia or Roma.

As a well-meaning but cheap kind of fellow, I enjoy seeing and reading about inexpensive violins. While I'd love to swap a suitcase full of my cheapies for one good new fiddle, it ain't gonna happen any time soon, and meanwhile I get to educate my antique and failing eyes.

Discussions like this remember me more and more the Website "rottenneighbor.com". I am glad to find much job on my workbench. You guys not? I personal find Discussions on 1.500$ Violins ("could be this or that, or maybe nothing") not the time worth.

Yet you find the time to be condescending and judgemental toward your fellow maestronetters. I'm glad you have alot of work on your bench. I hope it consumes your time more productively. :)

Yet you find the time to be condescending and judgemental toward your fellow maestronetters

Read again! Sorry my English is not the best. I say nothing against any maestronetters!!! Its my opinion on the reason about a Discussion like this. People get crazy when the word "Italien" shows on ebay sales, and the most things is not the time worth to talk about. Compare to the discussion about the Oddone Violin is different.

• 1 month later...

post-24488-1221980279_thumb.jpg

Here's a violin I have with "stubby" corners, of which I have no idea where it comes from. The f holes look English to me, and now I hear stubby corners are associated with Tyrolian/northern Italian, and/or Bohemian. I'm still in the dark. Any help here?

For some reason, only half the image comes up in this post, and I don't know why. I'll try to re-insert it tomorrow

post-24488-1221980279_thumb.jpg

Here's a violin I have with "stubby" corners, of which I have no idea where it comes from. The f holes look English to me, and now I hear stubby corners are associated with Tyrolian/northern Italian, and/or Bohemian. I'm still in the dark. Any help here?

For some reason, only half the image comes up in this post, and I don't know why. I'll try to re-insert it tomorrow

Nice looking fiddle, though a pity about that encased-in-glass varnish. I could believe English, but that's just me.