Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Song

Gewa = Jaeger Cases

I'm on the lookout for a new case, and I've been reading up on old threads from many years ago. A lot of people seem to mention the quality of Jaeger cases, but a internet search gives me the impression that they've somehow disappeared. Instead, I've noticed that some cases are by Gewa/Jaeger -- is the the same company with a name-switch?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice lightweight oblong case? The Mustafia's are out of the question due to their cost (I know about the factory seconds and discounted models they have, but for now we can rule them out). Gewa seems to have some weird "sport" case, located here. I don't really mind the look, but the most appealing part is the 4.5 lb weight. American Case Co. is another name that is brought up a lot, though Shar only carries two models, and the Manhattan weighs in at 8.25 lb. The Sound Post in Toronto carries the Gewa Maestro, which is 6 lb., but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this case. The Shar lightweights seem to be nice, though I've read mixed reviews.

Any suggestions?

Edit: The title should have a question mark at the end...

I just bought the 4/4 Bam France Contoured Hightech 2002XL Shaped Suspension for my daughter, it is great - only 3.5lbs and very string. Great protection for her violin. Try Johnson Strings - from my search on the net, they are the cheapest. I considered the GEWA but it is too heavy. If you want something like the GEWA, consider the BOBELOCK, I have used the BOBELOCK half moon for may daughter's 1/2 and 3/4 size violins, both excellent case and great for protection (she has to bring her violin to school and students are not know to be careful!!! :) )

Cheers,

Michael

My daughter has a Gewa Venetian (a pimped out version of the Gewa Maestro oblong) from Johnson Strings and is very happy with it. The case is light (under 6 pounds, actually), small, beautiful, and of good quality--yet spacious, with ample music storage space (the big problem with the Bam contoured). I also like the Gewa suspension system very much. I believe the Maestro is the same basic case but with different fabric--but I could be wrong (call Johnson's & ask). Johnson Strings does seem to have the best price for Gewas and Bams.

J.

Thanks for the responses.

The problem with Johnson strings is that I'm living in Canada, which makes getting supplies a little harder. I've got The Sound Post (they have webstore, but they're brick and mortar store is close by to me) and Remenyi in Toronto, as well as Riedstra's in Kitchener-Waterloo. Other than that, it's just the Shar mail-order store to draw from...

I'm on the lookout for a new case, and I've been reading up on old threads from many years ago. A lot of people seem to mention the quality of Jaeger cases, but a internet search gives me the impression that they've somehow disappeared. Instead, I've noticed that some cases are by Gewa/Jaeger -- is the the same company with a name-switch?

Gewa have owned the Jaeger brand for a number of years now. It is their upper end of a range which now includes the sporty line you mentioned.

Glenn

I live in Australia and I have bought both the 3/4 Bobelock and the BAM case from Johnson Stings. Their mail order service is very good and the price is very reasonable.

Cheers,

Michael

My track record with cases has me convinced that I'll never buy another case I haven't actually handled and investigated thoroughly. This includes high-end cases. It's amazing how quickly any case can get a past.

Nonetheless, that Gewa sport case is intriguing. You could just about live out of it, and almost nobody would guess that you have something valuable in there. I've got a good-and-ugly old Lifton with a plastic zipper cover that continues to serve well in this capacity, despite lacking a subway strap, which would have made it even better. Shoulder straps are good, too, until you get old and broken down from carrying too much luggage. Then you get a wheelie-dealie.

Hax - you mentioned the Shar cases - I did get one for my viola (one of the few light cases I could find) and I am pleased with it. My teacher was concerned with what seems at first to be less than optimal suspension, but I believe that it is of a different type than usually seen. It has protected my good viola in jeeps and in the storage area of a small RV when driving over very bumpy roads. Its light weight is a huge help to me.

At first I thought the case was fairly expensive for what it seemed to be, but I am pleased with it. Good luck in your search!

Shirley

There are some interesting GEWA cases here:

http://beststudentviolins.com/cases.html#GEWA

with some very expensive Jaeger cases if you scroll down.

You might also want to look at the oblong Core cases, which are low priced:

http://beststudentviolins.com/Core_cases.html#ViolinCase

The second one down comes in a bunch of colors.

Bobelock is a premier case maker, with higher prices and better quality than those particular Cores:

http://beststudentviolins.com/bobelock.html#violin

and Bobelock makes this new pink, half-moon case (also in other colors), which a lot of students (girls, especially) want:

http://beststudentviolins.com/HalfMoon.html#puffy

HTH