Sign in to follow this  
Bernie R

What can you say about this fiddle?

My first reaction was American as well, but I don't know enough to be sure.

It looks like the violin was in a very hot area for a long time... attic neglect? Is this a cracked spirit finish, wax, or something else?

I thought you guys were joking! but... your'e not?

I see violins like that frequently, same shape same varnish, same scroll, etc...

and I bet you that it has a one piece bottom rib, with a little corner cut out in the middle. Have a look!

Bernie, post a picture of the endpin and surrounding ribs.

I see violins like that frequently, same shape same varnish, same scroll, etc...

and I bet you that it has a one piece bottom rib, with a little corner cut out in the middle. Have a look!

Peter i,ll agree with you, i had one similar ,a del gesu model the other week.That varnish shrinks so much it almost leaves the instrument

especially around the ribs and edges.Though that one isnt as bad as some ive seen.

Haha... I didn't say, "I don't know enough to be sure," for nothing. :)

If I see anything that looks rough/rustic, I assume it was made by a hobbyist in America.

Haha... I didn't say, "I don't know enough to be sure," for nothing. :)

If I see anything that looks rough/rustic, I assume it was made by a hobbyist in America.

But this isn't very rough though it is actually quite well made, and definitely professional work. I'd say Mittenwald too, although the scroll looks surprisingly heavy, (could it have anew scroll?)

I bet you that it has a one piece bottom rib, with a little corner cut out in the middle. Have a look!

Voila. It may not show up on this photo, but I think the rib is in two pieces.

I also suspect the fiddle may have spent a long time somewhere hot. When I first saw it it was covered in a slightly sticky purple "bloom".

I have also thought the scroll was a little on the large size. The neck angle has been set back, and maybe a new neck and scroll was used? post-25007-1216198732_thumb.jpg

So, I think everyone has established that this isn’t American. :)

The scroll does look a little big, but has the same varnish cracking/shrinking as the top. Maybe this was a quick unifying shellac coat that shrank, which caused the purple “bloom” that was described?

ok, bottom rib two piece(or not?)... but the v cut is visible at the bottom of the joint.

I can post a couple of pictures of other similar instruments that I have in the workshop at present, also typical, also Mittenwald 1850ish for the unconvinced.