Maestronet Forums

Virus

David Tseng

My computer was infected by a virus while visiting several advertisers on maestronet. The bug is "Vista Antivirus 2008". It kept on telling me that my computer was infected by spywares and viruses and I had to pay them to remove these viruses. I tried to remove this bug using Window's Add/Remove but I could not. Does any one here know how to get rid of this bug.

I googled and found this was a hard nut to crack. I am going to use a computer specifically for Internet and periodically clean the harddrive and re-load the OS.

I get a popup periodically that directs my attention to my computer being infected. These are just advertizers to get you to buy an anti/virus, spyware package. Delete and ignore them.

Here's what they say about Vista Antivirus 2008 on one website:

"Vista Antivirus 2008 is more fake anti-spyware, the evil twin of Antivirus2008 (which is the bastard clone of PCcleaner). Like this other fake antispyware, Vista Antivirus 2008 might launch pretend system alert popups. This Vista Antivirus 2008 popup is supposed to scare you into buying Vista Antivirus 2008."

My computer was infected by a virus while visiting several advertisers on maestronet. The bug is "Vista Antivirus 2008". It kept on telling me that my computer was infected by spywares and viruses and I had to pay them to remove these viruses. I tried to remove this bug using Window's Add/Remove but I could not. Does any one here know how to get rid of this bug.

Hi David Tseng,

Invest some of your $600.00 dollar back tax in a security system! :)

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

and

http://lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

are both free and both well recommended for finding and removing spy ware and ad ware. They can be run manually and used in conjunction.

Unfortunately, the fake protection ware is really nasty to get rid of. I had one some time back and finally had to reinstall windows.

I was able to remove the virus using the freeware, SpyBot. I use a cheap home-assembled computer for Internt communication. It has minimum application softwares and I don't want anti-this, anti-that softwares so the computer will run faster. Also there is a switch on my cablemodem; when I am not upload or download data from Internet, I cut off the connection to reduce unwanted traffic.