Maestronet Forums

Maestronet members...are they all real?

Dean_Lapinel

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been sitting here all day trying to figure out something constructive to say..." :)

Jeffrey, maybe locking the thread down would be constructive....?

Now we have a first time post asking how to check histories.

A strange thread to make your debut!

Just in case they were genuine I tried to PM them

but it was blocked for some reason.

I was real this morning when I woke up and I don't think my status has changed significantly, unfortunately!

Oh, and by the way, I think Yuen is/was genuine.

I'm real, too-- that's my real photo, with my real wife, (one and only, 27 years), and I make real instruments, though I am not real good at it. I work at a real job, that pays real wages (though not real high), so I can make real instruments in my real spare time (hard to find, but it still exists). If I work real fast, I make real bad mistakes. I have gotten (almost) real good at repairing said errors. ( I realize, that grammatically speaking, this is not a REALLY good way to use the word "real", but for the moment, we will allow colloquial English.)

I don't know why Yuen changed his name...and up until now I had always assumed he was as advertised, and accepted him as such. We have had a few very strange vistors, in the last few years, who seem to show up in a swirl of wind, and leave a fair amount of debris in their collective wakes. I have no idea as to their real identities, or even their real motive, unless it is to stir up a real disturbance in an otherwise productive forum, and allow them to have a real laugh at everyone else's expense.

When I began in MN, it seemed that the normal practice was to choose a "nom de plume", as it were. I chose my initials, with the numeral three following, as I was the third with that name. The others are dead now, but it is part of my legal name, so I don't feel any urge to abandon the tag. I wish I had simply signed up using my real name, as it may have eliminated the real issues of identity, and the very real problem of determining who, in fact, is real.

Signing, as usual, with my real name,

Chet Bishop

Okay, I admit it. I'm not ChrisBurt. I'm really Chris Burt. Sorry if I've confused you all for so long. The devil in me made me do it;)

I also admit to choosing my words carefully -- can't help it. I was a professional technical writer for a Large Software Company for way too many years and my editors used to abuse me horribly when I didn't. Of course, a couple were pretty cute and I didn't mind at all:) All of them would, most surely, abuse me if they saw my current use of those atrocious emoticons.

Although I was, in a former life, trained as a violin maker and even earned my living at it and repair for about 12 years, some days I know more than others, so read my posts with a wary eye, or just skip over them.

The discerning eye can find three hammer-like objects currently on my bench.

HammersAsCharged.jpg

How do you describe a "fake" or "real" person posting on MN? If it's a matter of what name they're using, I guess many of us are fakes. And what's the difference anyway? The important thing is the intent of their posts; or to put the question another way, are everyone's posts honest and non-malicious? Of course, the answer is "no"- some ridicule, degrade and/or demean.

Wow, what a thread this is becoming!

Now, if I started it, my topic might have read: "Does each user name represent a different person?" That might have avoided a lot of the evident existential angst generated.

I have no such problems - I've known for a long time that I am not - cannot possibly be - real.

Wow, what a thread this is becoming!

Now, if I started it, my topic might have read: "Does each user name represent a different person?" That might have avoided a lot of the evident existential angst generated.

I have no such problems - I've known for a long time that I am not - cannot possibly be - real.

Of course Jacob is correct with his thread title assumption, but...would it have been this interesting? My choice of verbiage should have been a clue that I was looking for more than concrete answers. I had a dual purpose in posting the opening statement.

This does bring up an issue I have long had with the field of philosophy. I don't buy the famed supposition:

"I think, therefore I am"

The French!

Pardon my last name please…that is real.

How about all the politicians that exist but don't think?

Dean, of course I understood your "dual meaning" - I was just fooling around as usual...

My version of the "famed supposition" as applied to me would go more like:

"Perhaps I am - if so, perhaps I should try to think" :)

If this turns into a debate about Cartesian Dualism I'm leaving the forum :)

Tim

Of course Jacob is correct with his thread title assumption, but...would it have been this interesting? My choice of verbiage should have been a clue that I was looking for more than concrete answers. I had a dual purpose in posting the opening statement.

This does bring up an issue I have long had with the field of philosophy. I don't buy the famed supposition:

"I think, therefore I am"

Which leads me to

Neil

I am real, I know that because my wife is mad at me right now. I have one hammer on my bench and I actually spoke with Dean once on the phone...at least I think it was Dean. Once, I actually got some good advice from Lyndon Taylor, no kidding.