Maestronet Forums

Directory of Mirecourt Violin Makers

Brad Dorsey

In another thread Marc Genevrier has put up a link to a web page that is so interesting that I think it is worthwhile to bring it to everyone's attention, even though it's in French and I don't read French very well.

This page -- http://www.luthiers-mirecourt.com/luthiers_de_mirecourt.htm -- is a list of violin makers who have worked in Mirecourt.

This page -- http://www.luthiers-mirecourt.com/marques_de_fabriques_.htm -- is a list of trade names used by various French makers. It also shows pictures of labels used by various French shops.

If this information were available in book form in English, I would buy it.

Thank you, Marc.

If you copy the link that Brad provided and paste it into Google and do a search on it then when the link comes up in Google you can choose the option to translate the page. This will save Marc having to do any translation.

Very interesting resource Brad and Marc and thanks for posting this.

Can anybody shed some light on when and by whom the label "J.B Colin" was used?

I had a J.B Colin once so this interested me

post-24963-1215889525_thumb.jpg

It's written elsewhere on the site that J.B Colin was registered by the Laberte Humbert company in 1889 (at least I think that's what it says :))

The old trade catalogues and the comparative prices of the various trade names (look under Documentation) are very interesting.

Holy Gagliano! Thanks much Mr. Genevrier and Brad! Also, thanks for ruining the rest of my weekly cleaning. :)

On the link Rokovak just posted, there are some weird things in between maker names, such as, "GOES OR I LIKE IT", and, "SHIRT", which by the way, isn't even in alphabetical order. :)

interesting tidbit... "In the 1860s, there were 25 000 lace makers in the area of Mirecourt: they sold their production to peddlers who exported them to Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Spain, or even sold it to lace making masters.

At that time, in Mirecourt itself, there were 600 lace makers - that was 10% of the population then; all of them were either instrument makers’ wives or daughters. (75% of the marriages were between lace makers and instrument makers!)" from... http://lace.lacefairy.com/International/Mirecourt.html

Cheers... Mat

Thanks for the info on J-B Colin, it confirms the info I had, but I just wanted to check. That must be one of the cases where the label came closest to being transformed into a real maker, the existence of whom some shops/sellers would seem to be willing to wager their future.

Thanks for the info on J-B Colin, it confirms the info I had, but I just wanted to check. That must be one of the cases where the label came closest to being transformed into a real maker, the existence of whom some shops/sellers would seem to be willing to wager their future.

Im glad Jacob that you keep bringing up this JB Colin thing, people specifically violin shops and auction houses still sell these violins as if he was a genuine maker. Another one is Emile Blondelet,ive been reliably told by a Parisian dealer/expert (of long standing)that he didnt exist either.

Thanks for that bit of info about Blondelet - they few I've seen are much nicer than J-B Colin.

There was once a J-B Colin for sale on that flowery verbose South African site (you'll know what I'm talking about) where J-B Colin was referred to as a "well-known and respected maker". Oh boy...