Sign in to follow this  
STRAD~STYLE

what strings should i get?????

As others have noted, the choice of strings is dependent on the characteristics of the specific violin. As an observation, I originally used Eudoxia (gut) on my violin (quite old, French made I think). I tried Dominant for a while and have since switched to and quite like the Thomastik Infeld Reds. They have a darker sound and may play well on a bright violin.

For me, I have used strings as I need them, considering price and playability. Dominants are the most consistent ones for the price. They play very well across all types of violins and level of playing. Beyond that, it is a crap shoot. Evah Pirazzis are great, but I prefer Eudoxas. Unfortunately, both have been inconsistent in workmanship lately. I have several sets of both that for some reason the A string has conked out. The Olive Pirastro work splendidly on my violin, but that is a nice old Italian and very temperamental. I have to budget in order to use them, however. For some reason, these European made strings are much more expensive in the EU than the US. Go figure.

Recommendations don't amount to much unless they're coming from someone who's familiar with the instrument in question or at least the brand of string currently being used.

One of my local shops has boxes of strings for people to try the different brands & figure out which works best on their instrument. If you're lucky enough to be located near a luthier, ask about that. Otherwise ask fellow violinists about string swapping.

IUStrings definitely has very low prices, but the selection is very limited: Evah Pirazzi, Obligato & Vision for violin.