Maestronet Forums

viva la musica diamond shoulder rest

xdmitrix420

Hi guys - I noticed on quinnviolins.com and johnsonstrings.com a new shoulder rest by viva la musica called the diamond series. Does anyone have one? they look pretty comfy, but they are quite expensive. Also, I was wondering if anyone has the viola version. Quinnviolins lists it, but there are no specs on the maximum viola size it can handle.

Hi guys - I noticed on quinnviolins.com and johnsonstrings.com a new shoulder rest by viva la musica called the diamond series. Does anyone have one? they look pretty comfy, but they are quite expensive. Also, I was wondering if anyone has the viola version. Quinnviolins lists it, but there are no specs on the maximum viola size it can handle.

I never use a shoulder rest.

I never use a shoulder rest.

If you never use a shoulder rest, then why bother to respond? xdmitrix420 is asking for information about a particular product, and your response is not helpful. In fact, it opens that nasty can of worms, the "real violinists never use shoulder rests" debate than can, I think, be found in some of the old threads. If you want to argue that issue, you can look them up. Yaffa, you just joined these forums - why not take some time to get to know some of the regulars and get a sense of what you can learn? People here are remarkably welcoming to newcomers and their ideas, but put some thought into your posts and ask yourself "How is this going to come across to this group of people that I don't know yet?"

Mary

Yes, Mary - I had the same reaction, and was ready to dismiss Yaffa with prejudice, so it is probably good you said something. Yaffa is an adult, and I'm supposing that she didn't realize the tone of her post, and it would be a shame if a potentially valuable member's comments became discounted offhand as a result of one ill-considered response.

So Yaffa - welcome to the classiest and most informative forum on the web.

Shirley

This is VLM's product page for the Diamond viola rest, if it's any help. No specifications (and flash-based--I hate flash) but there is a link to contact them. I haven't had any experience with the Diamond but used a VLM Original for a while. It's on the order of the Kun rest but more adjustable and the feet gripped my instrument better than a standard Kun (they've changed their feet since then though). The Diamond looks like a decent rest!

Thanks for the link, much appreciated. Google wasn't turning up any results. I wish more websites would post exact specs on heights, lengths, widths of various shoulder rests.

I used to not play with a shoulder rest, and I even spent 5 years playing and learning without one. On top of that, I had one of the top teachers in the country show me how the exact technique required. It just required too much effort to hold the instrument, and the instrument easily moved too much for my taste. After seeing videos of pinchas zukerman, and isaac stern stuffing padding under their suits, I just said *&@#* it, they're cheating too, so I might as well too.

If you never use a shoulder rest, then why bother to respond? xdmitrix420 is asking for information about a particular product, and your response is not helpful. In fact, it opens that nasty can of worms, the "real violinists never use shoulder rests" debate than can, I think, be found in some of the old threads. If you want to argue that issue, you can look them up. Yaffa, you just joined these forums - why not take some time to get to know some of the regulars and get a sense of what you can learn? People here are remarkably welcoming to newcomers and their ideas, but put some thought into your posts and ask yourself "How is this going to come across to this group of people that I don't know yet?"

Mary

What is the problem? I simply stated that i never use one. Have I committed an offense?

Yes, Mary - I had the same reaction, and was ready to dismiss Yaffa with prejudice, so it is probably good you said something. Yaffa is an adult, and I'm supposing that she didn't realize the tone of her post, and it would be a shame if a potentially valuable member's comments became discounted offhand as a result of one ill-considered response.

So Yaffa - welcome to the classiest and most informative forum on the web.

Shirley

Thank you...I am an adult, but I feel like most of what I do in innocence is being treated poorly by shirl and doctahg. I am un informed, but I have a right to simply put in a post. Why dismiss me? Tell me what I have done. You tell me "welcome" but I do not think I am in the right place. I should maybe go to a forum where my simplicity is OK

Mary

Aren`t I proper enough for you? Well I feel like you are all too "good" for me. BYE!

What is the problem? I simply stated that i never use one. Have I committed an offense?

Yaffa - The problem is that, as we lawyers say, your statement is non-responsive. You have answered the questions "Do you use a shoulder rest" or "Should I use a shoulder rest" rather than the one posed. You should feel free to enjoy this forum, and we welcome you. However, a primary purpose of the forum is to help others who have issues they are trying to resolve. Non-responsive statements do not help them.

Yaffa - The problem is that, as we lawyers say, your statement is non-responsive. You have answered the questions "Do you use a shoulder rest" or "Should I use a shoulder rest" rather than the one posed. You should feel free to enjoy this forum, and we welcome you. However, a primary purpose of the forum is to help others who have issues they are trying to resolve. Non-responsive statements do not help them.

THANK-YOU for the good reply to me. You have some regard for me[even tho you don`t know me] That other person who said yaffa+discussion=lol had no compassion.

THANK-YOU for the good reply to me. You have some regard for me[even tho you don`t know me] That other person who said yaffa+discussion=lol had no compassion.

Why are you polite to me and the following post is so rude? This is ridiculous! I wanted to get into some music fun and it turns into a big hate fest [both me and some of the other ppl] Some of you are decent, though. I got into something that was out of my league. Im only a "scratch" fiddler. Sorry i TOOK UP SPACE.

BowBabe,

The sensitivity to this subject comes from some very heated discussions about the use of shoulder rests. There is a group of non-shoulder rest users out there that definitely come off with a better-than-thou, real-violinists-don't-use-them attitude about not using one. In light of those posts your response understanably sounded combative to those of us that lived through those argumnets, as it was non-responsive to the question.

I've gotten sidewise with the forum myself, but it still has merit and good information. The general membership is just pretty fed up with some of the mean spiritedness that has been on this board at times.

Don't run off. Eveything will be fine.

BowBabe,

The sensitivity to this subject comes from some very heated discussions about the use of shoulder rests. There is a group of non-shoulder rest users out there that definitely come off with a better-than-thou, real-violinists-don't-use-them attitude about not using one. In light of those posts your response understanably sounded combative to those of us that lived through those argumnets, as it was non-responsive to the question.

I've gotten sidewise with the forum myself, but it still has merit and good information. The general membership is just pretty fed up with some of the mean spiritedness that has been on this board at times.

It is ppl like you that make me want to stay...what of that sarcastic "i like stuffed olives" to ridicule me? I didnt ask for that. That was settleled a while ago. Im not here to cause trouble, just to be treated half way decently by ppl like that olive comment. BTW.. So i dont use a rest...I dont think im better than any rest users. I was only making a statement. They took my words and made a villian of me.

BowBabe,

OK balony aside, What kind of chinrest are you discussing? I have ABSOLUTLY NO problem with ppl using them.

OK balony aside, What kind of chinrest are you discussing? I have ABSOLUTLY NO problem with ppl using them.

Look, this is getting ridiculous. If you can't be bothered to read the thread far enough to understand the question, please don't post!

Look, this is getting ridiculous. If you can't be bothered to read the thread far enough to understand the question, please don't post!

You are so cold and stuffy and unfriendly...If anybody still wants me to stay, Im gone. Inever met such cold and unfriendly pple.

BowBabe,

soory it is still unfriendly and hateful to me. I am leaving. Maestronet can go to h***

on the lighter side of things, i think i'm going to order the diamond xxl for viola and see how it turns out. The feet look interesting because they are attached by a springy piece of steel.

out of all the wooden shoulder rests, i haven't liked any of them. the mach one was too stiff and didn't have enough padding for me.