Anyone want a real Stradivari?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if they'll take a postal money order? I've been looking for a genuine strad that I can grind up into small pieces to submit to various different laboratories for analysis. After analysis I'll give the pieces to Jimmy to re-assemble...

Here's your chance to get a real Stradivari. Chances are, if you don't get the violin, they might have a bridge to sell you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-Rare-Original-ANT...1QQcmdZViewItem

Ooh, ooh! I want a bridge! Did Moses play using it?

What happens if you flame someone on ebay? Doesebay reprimand you?

More likely than not. After all, Ebay could have made a killing on the final transaction fee when the violin would have been sold.

The Phantom Googler strikes again - google Natan Bondar and this came up:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/natan-bo...nini/4060591287

Too hilarious... :) I think this is the violin in question?

Here is the description of the video:

"Krug" George Mordel. 5.02.1986. Natan Bondar's Ysaye Sonata #4 was performed better than by Yehudi Menuhin. Genius violinist equals Paganini's playing in the variations from the opera "La Molinara" performed for the first time ever since the death of Paganini. In the book titled "Nicolo Paganini. An Otherwordly History of a Musician and Martyr", Paganini's virtuosity is described as follows: "In His hand's violin sang, cooed, laughed, cried and danced, its sound soaring highover the audience to pitches indiscernible to the human ear." "...and furthermore the bow itself played its own melody with right hand, while Nicolo's left hand plucked the strings playing yet another melody with such and outpouring of melancholy and anguish as though Satan himself were embodied in the instrument. These beautuful words were written about Nicolo's virtuoso stile. I know now that there exists among us another violinist who is worthy of such descriptives. He is Natan Bondar. "Maariv" Tel-Aviv. 23.03.90. Music Critic Daniel Stukalin. Natan Bondar gave the finestsolo violin recital in the history of Israel's Philharmonic Concert in the "Hall Ha Tarbut" since it openg its doors in 1945, say most critics, orchestra members, conductors and the general music listening public. Bondar played works by Paganini better than were ever played by Yehudi Menuhin. "Studio Eshel" Tel-Aviv. interview from Nahum Bronfman. Natan Bondar is the first, who is playing "la Molinara" in the original 150 years since the death of Paganini, and when Natan Bondar will death, after 1000 years nobody will not played this composition, all violin players have been attempted to play it, but no one did.

Does the poster advertising "the first time La Molinara was played in 145 years ("since the death of Paganini", of course)," and once good ol' Natan kicks the bucket, "the last time for 1000 years anyone will have been able to play La Molinara in it's original form ("all violin players have been attempted to play it", but no one did, of course. I wonder if they can sell me a time machine, you know, with this going back and forth in time and all...)" have "YMCA" on it? How many people showed up to this fabulous black tie event, eight? Ahhh...that's

right, Natan was serving free popcorn.

:) Look at some of the questions and answers on Ebay (I guess someone beat you out at being the first to flame the seller, C. B. Fiddler):

Q: Do you have any certificates from a reputable instrument appraiser testifying the authenticity of this violin? It doesn't look even remotely like a Strad in the pictures. Jun-24-08

A: May I ask you question, did you have once in your hands a real Stradivari in your life time ? This instrument do not have any passport or certificate, because of the modification what have been done by Paganini, nobody will not certify it if we do not move fingerboard on usual place. I will not make changes because I do not wish anything to change on this violin. The new owner will change it if will count it necessary. In the near future, if there will be nothing unforeseen, the disk with records of Natan Bondar played on this violin will be released. It will be the lifetime certificate for this violin. On this violin, on July, 9th, 1985, first time in the World 145 years since the death of N. Paganini, "La Molinara" at the concert in the original has been played. It is History, and you cannot cross out it...

Can I be the first in line for that awesome Natan Bondar cd? Or is it going to be an eight track? Forty-five, perhaps? Oh, I know, it's going to end world hunger.

Q: Why on earth would anyone put a stradivari on Obey. Certainly makes me wonder about it's authenticity. You are in the wrong place to maximize your return indeed. Jun-24-08

A: I have very bad experience in other places. Let me decide as well where to buy and sell...

You have had bad experiences along your "journey" of selling this piece and want to use Ebay. As Ace Ventura would say: "Reeeeaaally."

Would people agree that it looks quite "new"? What's this stuff about the fingerboard being moved backwawrds to make playing the Paganini possible? Looking at the pics in the video, the G string peg seems located in a really strange position? Fascinating too that there appears to be no reference to this "famous violinist" anywhere else on the net apart from what his "wife" has posted. Additionally, googlng her name brings up an interesting reference from the Canadian law courts...

I asked if they would put super sensitive strings on it for me... :)

Here's the reply:

"I would like to tell you that Natan Bondar usually use strings made in Austria it is Dr. Thomastik- infeld , because for the compositions composed by composer like Paganini, Ernst, Donizetti-Lubin, Wieniawski, advisable to have strings which have good durability, that in time concert they did not break off, but we have strings made in the west Germany named Pirastro, of course for the short time those stings sounding excellent, but for to play so powerful compositions they are very soft and weak and those strings can break off during the performance, it is why we are using Thomastik. Because pressure on string very big. Of course I will put a set of super sensitive Pirastro strings on it if you like them more.

- tatianabondar"

I think I'd like to buy this instrument just to do tests on it to see how it could have gone through so much time and demanding playing without having any marks where one would normally hold the violin. That famed Strad varnish is even better than anyone thought. This could be a real steal for the person that finds this before-unknown quality of the Strad varnish. Also, to find out that Dominant strings were around when Paganini was composing and playing the composer's compositions also composed for such a special violin. Priceless. Halfsies, anyone?

Remember our dear Mr. InSearchOfCremona? :)

And the seller found out this thread ha!! :)

Q: Hello again, from John Thornton. I have viewed the larger images of this violin on your 'flckr' web page. As I now can see the flat area on the back of the peg box, we have a clear indication that the head and neck are of German origins. Since the rest of the body can be seen only at an angle, I cannot determine any obvious feature that would indicate the body to be the authentic work of Antonio Stradivari. If you are able to provide straight on closeup views of the front and back I would be able to make a determination. As it stands now, after viewing the images available, the violin appears to be a very nice reproduction of Stradivari with a good tone quality. Sincerely, John Thornton Brewton, Alabama Jun-28-08

A: Thank you for the good news. Sir. In the beginning of 19 century all violins was enlarged necks and changed the peg boxes. Left only Barocco instruments untouched. Paganini was on tour in Germany and Austria in that time, why it has german neck and peg box. Austria it is mean it was changed there. Thank you for help you offered, I don't need any kind of help. I did not ask nobody's help when I gave the money for violin. http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=317936 If you have no money to buy, you may to laugh only :-))) As I see you have no money for Stradi. I will put on eBay for half price of that Jakob Stainer violin. That could be chance for your business... Do you know the difference between Paganini and Stradivari? I can tell you in secret, - one of them was Musician another Woodcraft....

Regarding the very last phrase of the answer above, I only know, Paganini play on Guarneri Del Gesu, Il Cannone. Oh and we don't need captain obvious around here... :)

No bids yet! Paganini did apparently own 10 Strads, that were sold after his death. I can't imagine that they wouldn't all be accounted for.

Very poorly cut bridge on this instrument. Looks like Jargar Dolce strings. No pictures of any label in it. Love to see one. A very wise and knowledgeable violin expert once told me that when you buy a Strad, you're not really buying it for the sound!

No bids yet! Paganini did apparently own 10 Strads, that were sold after his death. I can't imagine that they wouldn't all be accounted for.

Very poorly cut bridge on this instrument. Looks like Jargar Dolce strings. No pictures of any label in it. Love to see one. A very wise and knowledgeable violin expert once told me that when you buy a Strad, you're not really buying it for the sound!

Ah I didn't know Paganini own 10 Strads. :)

You're right, even a Strad is unplayable or sounds crap, it's still a Strad and will score a very high value because of the history, the workmanship, collector's value, or simply, the name. Is there a Strad that sounds wonderful but looks ugly?