What is going on at Tarisio?

Tarisio's auction starts the 25th and the violins are starting the next day and still no scrolls. They have been slow getting the scrolls up on the last few auctions but never this late. They also have not sent out any of the condition reports I have requested.

I am concerned..... I don't want to see the great service Tarisio provides go down hill. I was and still am hoping for continued improvement.

Dan

Hi guys,

We're sifting through a large backlog of condition report requests but we will have them delivered by auction end. We've sent over 600 condition reports already this auction and it takes some time to get them out... We know you need them and we're working on it!

The head photos unfortunately won't be included in our speculative and restorable sales from now forward. We've decided to concentrate on better quality images as a whole and additional angles for the better quality instruments (views of scroll, details etc). We surveyed our customers earlier this year and it seems that with good condition reports and proper cataloging head photos are not necessary for less expensive instruments. For higher quality instruments customers wanted more head shots and we aim to please...

Jason Price

It is information that sells and brings the highest price, just take a look at Jesse's listings on eBay. Providing condition reports with the photos online will increase the sale price where deserved. Providing photos of the scrolls from all sides will increase the price where deserved. If a violin will not sell with full discloser they should be left to eBay (let their reputation go down not Tarisio's). More photos of the higher end violins sounds very good. Less photos of the vast majority of the violins sold at Tarisio is not a good move.

Dan

It is information that sells and brings the highest price, just take a look at Jesse's listings on eBay. Providing condition reports with the photos online will increase the sale price where deserved. Providing photos of the scrolls from all sides will increase the price where deserved. If a violin will not sell with full discloser they should be left to eBay (let their reputation go down not Tarisio's). More photos of the higher end violins sounds very good. Less photos of the vast majority of the violins sold at Tarisio is not a good move.

Dan

I think what you have at Tarisio is that they are trying to adjust from having two auctions annually (when they first got started) to now an auction almost every other month six annually. They are having trouble making the transition (see posts above). Now with digital photography it takes about ten seconds to take a scroll photo and upload it. It seems for these "less expensive" auctions you really need to go to a viewing (actually you need to for the finer instruments as well). Buyer be aware!

If one must go in person to get necessary information, what's the point of having an online auction at all?

I, too, think it's a bad move to stop providing full information on "speculative" and "restorable" instruments. I suppose if the motive is to reduce the population of bidders to only those with considerable expertise or no sense at all then it's probably a good move, but why would an auction house want to do that?

Looking at yesterday's sales results I was wondering why someone would pay say $500 (with buyer's premium) for Henley's Book when you can buy the exact same book for $250 (I have). Great for Tarisio though-cha ching!

Some people have money to burn I suppose as many of the books sold above retail levels-bewilders me though!

Hi guys,

We're sifting through a large backlog of condition report requests but we will have them delivered by auction end. We've sent over 600 condition reports already this auction and it takes some time to get them out... We know you need them and we're working on it!

The head photos unfortunately won't be included in our speculative and restorable sales from now forward. We've decided to concentrate on better quality images as a whole and additional angles for the better quality instruments (views of scroll, details etc). We surveyed our customers earlier this year and it seems that with good condition reports and proper cataloging head photos are not necessary for less expensive instruments. For higher quality instruments customers wanted more head shots and we aim to please...

Jason Price

I don't agree with this policy. I don't believe it is fair to the consignors or the buyers- and particularly since one might not agree with an attribution nor be able to travel for the viewing. The head view is necessary for a proper judgment.

What you see in today's economy is with rising costs how far can we cut our services and still achieve "acceptable" results. Let's not go to the trouble of posting scroll shots in this case. What is our sales percentage after the sale. Any possible contributing factors that caused our percentage of sales to drop. Can we accept this? Yes, keep cutting until it's acceptable.

Anyone remember if you were a "good, returning customer" you got sent a free catalogue-not anymore. You just continue to cut until it affects your bottom line then slowly add it back. Not only here, but happening in every business and service around you. The mighty dollar doesn't buy what it used to in goods and services. You do have a choice though-you don't have to buy!

Can you please provide some proof for us?

Hi Andy;

I agree with you... and I am not please when I see a new member (first post) making unsupported allegations with a false name. That's not what we're about here. This user has been removed as was his/her post... and your post as well (even though I thought it was very appropriate), as I thought it was unfair to leave a reference to the original statement.

"Do they fly around with the whole consignment of violins...?"

I think that for their big sales they do fly everything around with a few exceptions for things like books which are heavy and don't require close inspection the way instruments and bows do. They have a custom-made bow case that holds all the bows in a sale. I don't know how they pack the instruments.

I heard that they had several expensive bows seized by customs because they had tortoise shell frogs.

"Do they fly around with the whole consignment of violins...?"

I think that for their big sales they do fly everything around with a few exceptions for things like books which are heavy and don't require close inspection the way instruments and bows do. They have a custom-made bow case that holds all the bows in a sale. I don't know how they pack the instruments.

I heard that they had several expensive bows seized by customs because they had tortoise shell frogs.

Brad,

I believe only the choicest pieces are transported abroad (as you suggest).

It would be good if Jason could comment on the bows because tortoise shell and ivory are problematic now.

I think if you can prove they are over 100 years old, the goods are exempt from siezure but it's a point worth clarifying.

Glenn

Hi everyone,

Back by popular demand... We've given this some thought and we've decided to reinstate the "every head gets a photo policy". You guys seem to want it and we will deliver...

About the four viewings for October: not everything travels, just the top 20 violins and 20 bows. The October sale is a little unusual in that there will be a US portion of the sale and a London portion. The US lots (approx 200) view in NY and Boston only and the London lots (approx 200) only in London. This is excepting of course the 40 lots that travel to all four locations as above.

About tortoiseshell: we had an incident with 7 bows in 2005. We applied for a CITES exemption permit for all 7 bows to travel to a viewing in London. We were granted the permit but it was "Exhibition" class not "Commercial". We exported then re-imported the bows and upon reimportation to the US they were seized as they were determined to be in commercial circulation which is a big no-no for items on an "Exhibition" permit. Long story short: the US Fish and Wildlife service was extremely business unfriendly and determined to restrict the circulation of endangered species materials. In the end the sticks were returned to us but the frogs were seized and we are told are in a repository somewhere in Colorado. We recruited a number of influential experts and curators to lobby our case and even offered to donate them to a museum but the F&W folks would have none of it. Sad story.

In theory it is possible to obtain a Commercial exemption permit for items over 100 years old but since our unfortunate experience we have stopped ALL shipping of tortoiseshell and ivory abroad.

Jason

In theory it is possible to obtain a Commercial exemption permit for items over 100 years old but since our unfortunate experience we have stopped ALL shipping of tortoiseshell and ivory abroad.

Jason

Isn't it the commercial trading of these items, rather than the shipping of them, that the F & W folks are trying to stop? If you have stopped shipping them abroad but continue to have them at auction in the U. S., couldn't they (F & W) just as well come to an auction and confiscate?

I think unless you're a fly-by-night ebay seller you have to create trust selling on the internet by being open. Reducing information and using fuzzy pics is a ploy used by ebay sellers to get higher prices especially when the item has some major flaws. That kind of thing can work in the short term but in the long term it drives away buyers.

I asked questions of several items, very early in the auction, 10 days to go..,. I never received any reports or replies back. I would've like to have bid on a few items, but without scroll shots or a response to my questions I decided to not bid this go round.

I asked questions of several items, very early in the auction, 10 days to go..,. I never received any reports or replies back. I would've like to have bid on a few items, but without scroll shots or a response to my questions I decided to not bid this go round.

I, too, failed to receive a condition report although I enquired only a day or two before the end.

I'm guessing that these are prepared beforehand and supplied automatically for the the more important items but corners are cut on 'speculative' instruments. That said, I was enquiring about the last violin listed (Lot 369, the one with the oppio back) that ultimately sold for $12,000. In the end, I had to make the trip to NYC to inspect it in person.

Glenn

Hi Guys,

When I wrote that Tarisio is not a serious Auction House because, not only do they not provide information or pictures about the violins they sell on purpose, to avoid that buyers have enough information to evaluate their instruments (as people in this same forum can suppose), but also THEY RAISE THE VIOLIN PRICES WITH FAKE BIDS.... Maestronet deleted my account saying that I used a false name (I only used a pseudonym, like 80% of this forum).

Mr. Price probably called Mr. Holmes because he didn't like my post and I was very undemocratically deleted from the forum… Is it correct that if one wishes to express an opinion after a negative personal experience, one's account should be deleted?

I said that Tarisio tries to make money, keeping the violin prices high with fake bids and it seems also "using fuzzy pics is a ploy especially when the item has some major flaws.." like some Ebayers…, but while Ebay uses a feedback system that permits the single buyer to evaluate the reputation of each seller, in Tarisio's internet auction they do whatever they want because they are the only seller and nobody controls them.

Maestronet deleted my post when I wrote that "the quality of Tarisio's services and instruments keeps getting worse...", but my opinion seems to be largely accepted; see this link:

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?...&hl=tarisio

Guys, have fun… this will be my last post on this democratic forum!

Regards,

David

I think, David, that describing a negative personal experience is (or should be) in order.

But I think it must be a careful description, with as much supporting detail and evidence as is possible.

An emotionally-charged post filled with broad-stroke allegations of misconduct doesn't really leave readers with anything but a feeling that the writer went overboard. What are we supposed to do with unsupported claims - take them at face value? Why?

Someone describing a bad personal experience is, in effect, putting the vendor on trial in the court of public opinion. The difference between a good trial and a witch-hunt is the quality of the evidence and the fairness of the process.

It might well be my memory at fault, but I seem to remember your deleted post as not providing any actual detail. Your current post certainly doesn't. Can you see why that would look inappropriate to someone who's not you?