Maestronet Forums

How Best To Spend The Money To Stimulate Economy

David Tseng

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be red maple...

Do you have Biddulph's book on Guarneri Del Gesù? It costs about 800 bucks, but now I see in my copy it was printed and bound in England...

Well, open Lie Nielsen website and get some of those planes, they are (still) made in America.

Check the video on this site:

http://www.storyofstuff.com/

If you ask me, it's time to think of the larger picture, it's time to change our ways. After all, what do we really need?

Idealistic and simplistic. Good intentions but laden with false premises and conclusions. Information theory and the inevitable negative entropy of the Earth are areas to focus on. Sometimes, when it feels like we are doing the "right" thing for the planet we are actually increasing negative entropy. The biggest problem is probably the population excess we have on this earth. Some disease process will take care of much of the excess especially with ease of travel and population proximity/density...think pandemic influenza?

:)

Idealistic and simplistic. Good intentions but laden with false premises and conclusions. Information theory and the inevitable negative entropy of the Earth are areas to focus on. Sometimes, when it feels like we are doing the "right" thing for the planet we are actually increasing negative entropy. The biggest problem is probably the population excess we have on this earth. Some disease process will take care of much of the excess especially with ease of travel and population proximity/density...think pandemic influenza?

Interesting. One youtube clip comes to mind.

(note: the key term is "comes to mind". make connections at your own risk, not what I may or may not imply.)

Guest erich_zann

Surely you're not a fan of a Bird-Flu Pandemic ???........ :)

In keeping with the spirit of "spending the money to 'stimulate' the US economy"....should one buy from the 'Big Box' stores, (in which the money goes out of country).....buy gas, (again, in which the money again goes out of country).....Or how about a new Chinese fiddle....heh.....It's almost impossible to keep the money in the US long enough to help out, without putting it in your pocket and just not spending it.

Maybe I am just not smart enough on macro or micro economics...................

I'll keep looking at this thread to see if someone posts a real good purpose for the money......

E.

In my opinion the biggest problem is thinking that we are entitled to all our stuff, or thinking that we "need" it to get along, which gets right down to the heart of the matter. Anyway, I've been as guilty as any so I'm not pointing any fingers. Also, it is not a Republican vs. Democrat issue, it is an issue in which we've all played a part so we're all guilty...we all wallow in material excess!!! My wife gets 'O' (Oprah's magazine), and she has commented time and again about how it is literally saturated with ads and articles flaunting an utterly excessive way of life. But, consider the source and we should not be so surprised. I am not knocking Oprah per say, l am just demonstrating how both sides of the aisle play a role (Oprah is a staunch supporter of Obama, and for the record I am currently in the same camp, but November is still a long way off, however we do need some change, the question is what is best...for ALL, or the greater good, not just myself or my own good!).

The bottom line is that if you buy it, it is going to get made somewhere by someone, and when you want (when you buy) WAY more than you need, basic laws demand that the only way you'll be able to do so is for someone else to shoulder the burden for the portion you are unable to pay (to afford). Yes, we've a got a bit of a problem, one of material excess and it affects many whom we'll never know or meet, but who just the same are mothers and fathers, sons and daughters who deserve an equal opportunity. Here's more on the matter of material excess:

http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/pro...dmobility.shtml

Some may be trapped in poverty, however the rest of us are trapped in riches and I am not so sure which is the worse condition. Regardless, it affects us all.

When you look historically at the collapse of different cultures and societies, one thing most have in common is a population density and culture which placed unsustainable demands on the local environment. Resources were used faster than they could be replaced.

Sometimes things worked OK until there was some kind of challenge, like a cycle of drought.

My favorite example is the Easter Islanders. The island was once a paradise. Fish were abundant a little ways offshore. Plenty of wood for building houses and boats, and for cooking. I guess nobody thought about the fact that they were cutting down trees faster than they were growing.

After a while, there wasn't enough wood to build boats. Fish ceased to be a staple in their diet. Cutting native vegetation resulted in erosion of quality top soil, making crops difficult to grow. Population dwindled, and the society deteriorated into different groups battling each other for scarce remaining resources. Rats became a staple of their diet, according to archaeologists who have gone through their dump sites.

Two basic problems there:

Insufficient foresight, and too great a population. That island could have supported 50 people in style indefinitely, no matter how careless they were with resources.

I wonder what they were thinking when they cut down that last tree?

The North American continent supported the native population rather well, except in a few areas where they established concentrated population centers.

The US is currently trying to establish and maintain a high number of military bases in the Middle East. Is this a long-term strategy, anticipating the time when a country like China, with burgeoning energy demands, will make a military grab for the region?

If so, I don't suppose our administration could make this public.

If that's what the administration doing, is it wrong? Don't we expect them to protect our way of life?

Wars have already been fought over resources.

Is it possible that we live in the most affluent time in human history, past or future? Maybe someday it will the called the "petroleum bubble" era.

That said, I have as much of a problem as anyone with "green" people who fail to live by example. It's easy to tell everyone else what to do.

Technology is not the ultimate answer and in reality amounts to nothing more than a placebo. What we require is a change in our way of living. Either we choose, or it becomes forced upon us (which may have already begun), but one way or another it will come to pass.

By the way, generalizations aside, the Youtube video mentioned above was hilarious!

For years I've thought that world trade is what destroys the economy and self-sufficiency of most countries. As an example, when you buy 10 million widgets from China, the money leaves the country, strengthening the China economy. It takes jobs and manufacturing away from the American people where the money would be circulating and strengthening the American economy. The claim always is: "We can't produce it here as cheaply due to labour and material costs." Well, what does it cost the economy to send the money out of the country never to come back?

In my opinion, if governments were smart, they would shut down imports of any commodities or raw materials that can be produced at home. Export only what other countries require, and import only what we can't produce here ourselves. There I've said it; and I'm not even from the U.S., I'm in Canada but the same applies here.

Years ago small farming communities on the prairies here were bustling local economies within every community. Farmers would go to the local town to buy fruit, hardware, auto and machinery parts because it was diificult to travel great distances due to the quality of the roads. Sure, the prices may have been somewhat higher than what could be had in the cities, but the money went back into the community. With the advent of better roads, box stores with cheaper prices, better, faster transportation the small town merchants had to close their doors, and many of these communities are all but ghost towns now. Same thing is happening to the entire country, except on a larger scale. Eventually it'll be a ghost country, dead because it didn't want to support itself. There has to be a balance between the consumers and producers within the economy for it to work. Presently there are too many consumers and not enough producers.

So, if you want to know how to spend your money, inject it back into your economy

Maybe the Amish had it right all along.

Will they still be "doing their thing" after the rest of us are gone?

Nah, when things get bad enough, we'll invade and plunder them. That's the way it's always been done, in most societies, world-wide.

Transportation (and life as we know it) is almost totally dependent on fossil fuels. Some alternatives may come into play, but I don't see battery powered intercontinental air travel on the horizon. :)

I'll keep looking at this thread to see if someone posts a real good purpose for the money......

E.

Ride your bike past the gas stations, past the big box stores, past all the big stores selling useless crap, and visit the local growers mart where you'll find locally grown food, arts and crafts, an amateur musical happening, and the people who made these. Support them.

That said, I have as much of a problem as anyone with "green" people who fail to live by example. It's easy to tell everyone else what to do.

I'll have to remember to follow my own advice :)

Yes, it is simplistic but I did appreciate the video. What got me was the rapid disappearance of the habits and character traits associated with frugality, conservation, local economies... maybe when gas hits $10 a gallon we'll rediscover some of these traits and become more dependent on local communities.

Ride your bike past the gas stations, past the big box stores, past all the big stores selling useless crap, and visit the local growers mart where you'll find locally grown food, arts and crafts, an amateur musical happening, and the people who made these. Support them.

I'll have to remember to follow my own advice :)

Yes, it is simplistic but I did appreciate the video. What got me was the rapid disappearance of the habits and character traits associated with frugality, conservation, local economies... maybe when gas hits $10 a gallon we'll rediscover some of these traits and become more dependent on local communities.

Yep, when the nation stops travelling due to fuel and vehicle costs I'm sure local merchants will start thriving again. I always have a better feeling handing my money to a storekeeper in a little country town than the kid running the till at Walmart. (if there is a kid standing there; even they are being replaced by automated checkouts)