Sign in to follow this  
mbmsv

Interpreting poster measurements

I am trying to make an inside template as described in The Art of Violin Making and I am using the Kruse poster. My question is whether the numbers, which I circled in red, represent overhang or something else? Thanks.

post-24911-1213490858_thumb.jpg

Yes, they represent the overhang.... but notice that they vary quite a lot (from 0.2 to 3mm ...), because this is an old instrument (I had it on my hands some years ago) with centuries of deformation, wood shrinkage, damage caused by bow contact, etc.

So, sometimes the overhang is bigger on the corners, till 5 mm on some Del Gesù violins. That's why it's so difficult making an accurate replica. If you are not obssessive about making a replica, you can go with an overhang of 2.5 (in general) and 3 mm for the corners.

Yes, they represent the overhang.... but notice that they vary quite a lot (from 0.2 to 3mm ...), because this is an old instrument (I had it on my hands some years ago) with centuries of deformation, wood shrinkage, damage caused by bow contact, etc.

So, sometimes the overhang is bigger on the corners, till 5 mm on some Del Gesù violins. That's why it's so difficult making an accurate replica. If you are not obssessive about making a replica, you can go with an overhang of 2.5 (in general) and 3 mm for the corners.

Thank you Manifo. I am not obsessive about making a replica, I am simply trying to do a reasonable pattern based on this poster. I first drew a line at about 3.8 mm distance (2.5mm overhang + 1.2mm rib thickness + small margin of 0.1mm ), but found that the corners didn't work. They stuck out too far... So, I tried slightly bigger numbers in the corners, and they seem to have worked better, but I am still suspecting that when I build actual ribs around my pattern the corners will be sticking out too far...

Yes, take care with too long corners... newcomers are prone to make the corners too long.... I posted a tutorial here about corner shaping, it's not an orthodox method, but it works, it may help you.

Manifo, I'd pretty much finished my inside template before I had a chance to check your tutorial, which is by the way fantastic. Thanks a lot. I hope I will be able to make use of it a little later... My next step is making a plywood pattern :)

post-24911-1213513625_thumb.jpg