Duport Strad cello measurements

I've been trying to find if Duport cello drawings have ever been published and came across a post where Sacconi's book was mentioned as a source of some Duport measurements. Can someone comment on how complete these measurements are and whether this book is indeed the best source for them?

Thanks.

I've been trying to find if Duport cello drawings have ever been published and came across a post where Sacconi's book was mentioned as a source of some Duport measurements. Can someone comment on how complete these measurements are and whether this book is indeed the best source for them?Thanks.

Cozio site

What about the "Davidov" of 1712? The Duport was made in 1711. Hence, the cellos will probably be not to different. Of course, the Duport was played by Slava which is a great reason to try to copy this one... But then again, how close will we amateurs ever come to the real Strads without ever seeing one?! :)

So the Davidov should be "good enough" :)

It was featured in The Strad some time ago and it will be easy to get the poster. The poster was made by Roger Hargrave and contains a lot of information!

Roland, pardon me for jumping in.

I would be very interested in the Davidov poster, but it is out of print. If anybody knows of a reliable source for it, it would be nice. Otherwise, if someone remembers in which issue of the Strad it appeared, I would be very grateful. Maybe I can order the back issue.

On a more general note, does anybody know of a good drawing for a Strad "forma B" cello? Does Harry Wake's plan conform to the forma B? I have the Strobel book, but he seems to have "personalized" the Strad shape and the archings/arching heights seem quite different from Strad's.

Thank you !

Marc

There is a very nice folder with great life size photos of the “Gore-Both” 1710 Strad from "cremonabooks” which also has all the main measurements and outlines i think.

They do a series of folders and I seem to remember the gore booth cello is number 12.

Neil.

Hi Marc!

The Davidov was featured in the December 2001 isssue of The Strad. As I mentioned, Roger Hargrave did an outstanding job, he included even an almost complete long arch of the front, which is not always the case (because of the finger board). And his article is definitely worth reading!

Thank you Neil and Roland!

I have a Cremona Books folder for a Montagnana violin, but it doesn't include any real info nor drawing about the archings. Nevertherless, I will look for the Gore-Booth folder. CremonaBooks also lists the Davidov poster on their Web site, so I will try to order it, maybe they still have it on stock.

As for Strad directly, they only sell back issues for 2005-2007. And I must say that I'm quite fed up with waiting for Strad orders to come. I ordered three back issues on 28 april (for posters and articles on three violins) and my order still reads "pending"...!

Marc

I just checked my Gore Booth folder thingy and I was wrong in my earlier post, there is no outline.

I still think they are a worthwhile resource and the quality of the photos makes it in my opinion good value.

neil