Sign in to follow this  
Bill Yacey

Nitirc Acid and oil

Will Nitiric acid destroy a ready mixed oil varnish with the turpentine and linseed oil already mixed in? Just wondering if anyone else has done this before I potentially ruin some valuable resin.

Thanks

Will Nitiric acid destroy a ready mixed oil varnish with the turpentine and linseed oil already mixed in? Just wondering if anyone else has done this before I potentially ruin some valuable resin.

Thanks

Its hard to tell what will happen ,ive done lots of experiments with nitric acid.When i have treated all ingredients together like you describe ,the varnish wouldnt dry,even when i added lead driers and after prolonged heating.Its best to treat just the resins,usually rosin or venice terpentine by itself.You have to watch it very carefully as the reaction is very exothermic (use a large container and cool in water)

How stable is nitrated resin? I hear stories that it turns dark years later.

Mike

Never noticed it getting darker.I have samples around 10-15 years old and it seems to neither darken or fade.

I can see the non-drying become something of an issue. Musicians don't like sticky violins, although it might help prevent accidental droppage.

I thought if the acid would color / darken the oils as well this might be a good thing, but from what you are relating here it changes the drying properties of the oil. Perhaps as an experiment I'll treat some linseed oil with the acid and put it side by side with a film of untreated and see how it hardens in the sun.

Nitric acid and oil? Don't drop that violin! And don't sub glycerin for linseed oil.

Early Ariane French rockets used turpentine and nitric acid, which are hypergolic, they self-ignite.

Early Ariane French rockets used turpentine and nitric acid, which are hypergolic, they self-ignite.

Your telling me if my test sample polymerizes not to hit it with a hammer checking for hardness??! :)

Your telling me if my test sample polymerizes not to hit it with a hammer checking for hardness??! :)

Was talking nitric acid and turpentine. Put them together, but make sure you have at least 90% nitric acid. It is fun !!!!!!! (And about a pint of each works well)

I've already made that without any problems ! I was cooking everything together and gave Nitric Acid to varnish a drop at a time. Be careful with this stuff and wear some protection and read about the risks of using Nitric Acid.

Richard