Maestronet Forums

What Label I Should Put On My Non-labeled Violin?

Fellow

"This violin repaired by

Yuen ____________

Anytown, USA June 2008"

If you don't know the model, when it was made, or who made it, why would you try to add to the confusion by implicating that on the label? You can replace "repaired" with "owned" if that suits you better.

If you have more history, you could write that on the label, or just write up a sheet to keep with the instrument in the case: "This violin made in 2005 by Joe Smith of Anytown, USA of wood reclaimed from his old barn said to have been built by former president George Washington in 1865."

+++++++++++++++++++

This violin has all the charateristics of a hand made violin. (outside mold, nice f-holes, good Guarneri outline, good neck angle, told is Guarneri copy

except the varnish (seemed by a spread gun, too shiny) . I am very confused due to no info but my own. I have installed a set of perfection pegs and incurred

some varnish damage on scroll. A new bridge. Nice sound violin. So it deserves a "Label" Right? (But what is on the label is a problem; I am not getting anywhere, still in square one)

At a second look, it seems the violin is Strad model? what is it? (experts in Maestronet, where are you? )

post-5682-1212672681_thumb.jpg

post-5682-1212673091_thumb.jpg

This raises the epistemological question: if the model is not discernable, what difference does it make what the model is? [Tree falling in empty forest, etc...] Surely if the model is so uncertain, including a date on the label is ridiculous. As the country of origin is almost certainly not Italy, writing the label in Italian is nonsense.

What you are suggesting, Yuen, is that a label that is probably false and almost certainly misleading is somehow "deserved" by a violin because it sounds ok and looks ok except where repaired. The process by which you reach this conclusion is a mystery to me.

HS

what this really demonstrates is a complete waste of valuable internet forum real estate....and storage space....it was fun for awhile....but 27/8 posts......i find this post has no relevant information...and is a waste of space.....i'm all up for joking around, but would perfer to do so in the atmosphere of a post that has some relevant and important information to impart...

i'm sure in the future this will be one hot topic in the search catagory....gee how do i bastardize a cheap fiddle with a homemade label....ya everyones gonna wanna know how to do this....

No hostility here.

What can possibly be gained by adding a label?

++++++++++++++++++++++

Hey,hey, hey.

Be clam. I consider you guys or (girls) highly. Be serious. If you close your eyes

and play my violins against others (which event I know never happen) I am sure you will be impressed.

I call this kind thing (tests or trials ) "objective" Not price tag, Not country origin, Not big name label, Not impress antique look etc.

Why a label will become a problem. It is a model of some famous master maker (Stradivari or Guarneri) I have already nail down to 2 choices.

If I said " Amati " you will tell me " get out of here". If you do not say anything, I assume you do not know. Would that be fair?

I want to get help. A label should be telling exactly what it is for the benefit of others who may not be that knowledgeable.

PS. Italian label has magic. No question about it. Agree?

I feel you should only put information on a label that you know to be true. You could write something like "In my opinion, this is based on a Joseph Guarneri model." Then your opinion would be wrong but the label would still be accurate!

Everyone knows that a violin sounds better if it has a label in it. Especially if it is Italian! Of course, the way to make your fiddle sound REALLY good is to put a rattlesnake rattle in it.

Is this regional lore, or have you recently read "Cold Mountain"? What a great novel.

I have a tattoo on my chest that says, "Made in Sandusky Ohio by Charles and Lois Meyer sometime in January 1948 " Makes me feel legitimated.

I hate to state the obvious, but not all makers make copies. This could be a violin based of an original mold influenced by both Strad and DGD. Putting an guesstimated label in it just confuses the matter.

Yuen, I think I understand your reasoning, but since noone (honest) labels instruments without a cause (bench-made, reworked, or repaired) you would just confuse that violins existence with a perplexing label. That seems silly just to insinuate an Italian connection.

I really l do like your ballerina photo!

(quote)

++++++++++++++

I am glad you like it. Her arms were broken and I used some small plastic tubes to hold them back up. Very few people

would notice it . (looks a bit too long, sorry for the bad job). At least she makes us happy to watch her.

PS. I wonder why no one attempts to repair the broken arm of Venus (the beautiful lady stature)?

"PS. I wonder why no one attempts to repair the broken arm of Venus (the beautiful lady stature)?"

She probably can't afford to pay the sky-high deductible on her lousy health insurance. What is the value of Love and Beauty? Will it ever pay? ('Scuse me. Almost time for church. Don't get too verklempt imagining what the original arms were supposed to be holding or doing. Laughter is better medicine.)

"PS. I wonder why no one attempts to repair the broken arm of Venus (the beautiful lady stature)?"

She probably can't afford to pay the sky-high deductible on her lousy health insurance. What is the value of Love and Beauty? Will it ever pay? ('Scuse me. Almost time for church. Don't get too verklempt imagining what the original arms were supposed to be holding or doing. Laughter is better medicine.)

++++++++++++

It reminds me the expensive violins some people have. They cost " an arm" and a leg. (poor Venus, but where is her violin? )

Health insurance is expensive alright. I do not know it was expensive then.