Sign in to follow this  
JohnCockburn

fittings

There was a thread on fittings recently, that seems to have disappeared in the board revamp. In that thread I asked if anyone had any thoughts on the relative quality of Dov Schmidt's fittings and the Dick "standard line". Well, nothing much was forthcoming so I decided to go ahead anyway and order some ebony swiss pegs from Dov Music. The answer to the comparison question is that they are noticeably nicer than the Dick pegs (IMHO) and less than half the price. I got 10 sets for 25UK pounds including shipping. Should keep me going for a while.............

There was a thread on fittings recently, that seems to have disappeared in the board revamp. In that thread I asked if anyone had any thoughts on the relative quality of Dov Schmidt's fittings and the Dick "standard line". Well, nothing much was forthcoming so I decided to go ahead anyway and order some ebony swiss pegs from Dov Music. The answer to the comparison question is that they are noticeably nicer than the Dick pegs (IMHO) and less than half the price. I got 10 sets for 25UK pounds including shipping. Should keep me going for a while.............

10 sets ;last me 6 months to a year, that's how slow I have to work when working on 50k-6 million dollar violins, of couse 50% plus don't need new pegs at all, never replace old pegs that work fine just because they don't line up or stick out; trim the ends, an old violin is worth far more with original pegs than with the cheap new pegs this Dov Schmidt is selling, nie coist 20 a set,that's 50 retail avoid ebony it dulls your tools I porefer rosewood but boxwood is great too but those cost about %250 a set retail, cheap pegs will put you out of buinsess fast if you search the archives Lyndon taylor my "partner in London" explained how to fit pegs with chaep affordable Herdim pencile sharpeners, bought wholesalr from your local elementary school for !120, not kidding fair didnkum?

:):):):)B)B)B)

10 sets ;last me 6 months to a year, that's how slow I have to work when working on 50k-6 million dollar violins, of couse 50% plus don't need new pegs at all, never replace old pegs that work fine just because they don't line up or stick out; trim the ends, an old violin is worth far more with original pegs than with the cheap new pegs this Dov Schmidt is selling, nie coist 20 a set,that's 50 retail avoid ebony it dulls your tools I porefer rosewood but boxwood is great too but those cost about %250 a set retail, cheap pegs will put you out of buinsess fast if you search the archives Lyndon taylor my "partner in London" explained how to fit pegs with chaep affordable Herdim pencile sharpeners, bought wholesalr from your local elementary school for !120, not kidding fair didnkum?

:):):):)B)B)B)

Cheers, mate. How are you enjoying life in Peckham? It's in "sarf" (not east) London by the way. Give my regards to Del Boy.

I used many fittings from Dov Schmidt. I would say the quality is good. Whenever I have the time, I always make my own using French boxwood and Mountain Mahogany. Some of the features I don't like in the commercially produced fittings are: (1) the heart shaped peg handle: it should not be machined to make it look like kidney; the machined edge is sharp and is not comfortable when tuning the violin. That "extra" machining also weaken the peg stem. (2) The top edge of Guarneri chinrest should not be at the same level; it should curve down on the left side.