Sign in to follow this  
NewNewbie

Soundpost length

Huh? :)

I thought I would give those who posted on soundpost length a chance to re-up again for Allen! :-)

+++++++++++++++++++

I know that much and no one would disagree with me. Too long (of sound post) is not good, too short is not good.

How do you know? Experiment it.

By the way, I mean you first set the post at the desired location. After that, experiment different lengths of post .

If it is too long, you will have a hard time to get it up (vertically), too short falling down crazy. I never think of a different

location of the post or you ask for more trouble.

Someone has mentioned this before. If you squeeze the c-bout it should fall then you know it is right. (good idea of a luthier

Don't give me credit )

I set soundpost just like Hans Weisshaar taught me, 1,25-1,75mm inside the outside edge of the bridge, which has to be centered between the fholes, If the instrument is just too bright I set the post about 5-7mm behind the back of the bridge, normal 3mm behind, and to soft 1-2mm behind the bridge, for baroque I prefer under the bridge directly to slightly in front of the bridge. Cheers :):):)

I set soundpost just like Hans Weisshaar taught me, 1,25-1,75mm inside the outside edge of the bridge, which has to be centered between the fholes, If the instrument is just too bright I set the post about 5-7mm behind the back of the bridge, normal 3mm behind, and to soft 1-2mm behind the bridge, for baroque I prefer under the bridge directly to slightly in front of the bridge. Cheers :):):)

+++++++++++++++++++++

Your information will be useful to me. I did not know what it has happened to the sound of my violin after

"my set up" (new bridge and new post, repairs , all that). All I know it has changed. One instrument is better, and other not

that desirable. I do not know what I should do next. Thank you.

PS. I purposely set it behind the foot of bridge about 8 mm (I call it the desired position, not knowing anything better )

I agree, start with about 1/2 the width of the post behind the back edge of the right foot of the bridge positioned in line with the center of the foot of the bridge. Loosen the strings before positioning the post.

Regards

In the world of violin making there is seldom more BS than when it comes to the soundpost. I seldom see a post that is set in the right place. Most folk simply just move a post around from one wrong place to the next and think they found the magic spot for a number of reasons. The post has three roles 1/ structural, 2/ balance of response, 3/tone.......of these 3 role the latter is kind of irrelevent.....get the first two right and you'll never get number 3 better anyway...a violin has good tone or bad tone...fiddling with the post can make a bad violin sound better for a few weeks maybe....but only because the post is not where a long lived violin rquires it to be.

Lets look at some facts re post adjustment......

1/ A responsible luthier will avoid damaging the belly by slackening the strings before making a minor adjustment to the SP.

BUT slackening the strings for 3 minutes and returning to pitch will change tone for several hours in itself.....regardless o what happened with the post.

2/A maker who is trying many set ups might fit several different posts and bridges in one day in a searh for perfection . It is a fact that instruments which are perfectly in tune sound much better...if the maker does not know this the odds are that the set up he liked best was that rare one where every string was perfectly in tune ie noting to do with wherethe post was when he was chasing his ass.

3/ There is a folk lore concept of post adjustment regarding north,south east and west. This is BS and things also often don't work on a continuum as David Burgess pointed out a few days ago.

4/OK so you got that post in as a perfect fit 3mm behind the bridge...... OK..so we have full tension on the strings....4-5 weeks later.....the front of that post is gonna be fitting tighter than the back of it .....ie not how you adjusted it to be.

5/Look at the Sacconi book for a decent starting point.

6/ There is only one good position of a post on an instrument. ( not the same place every time) This position will be good structurally and good for balance and response. Tone and volume come from the instrument.....you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear in the long run.