Sign in to follow this  
doctahg

Is this a new violin?

I am interested in hearing the experts' opinions on this violin now being auctioned on ebay:

iewItem">Montagnana?

The listing clearly states that it is an imitation of a Montagnana. To me, it looks like a brand-new violin that has been antiqued, including the grafted scroll and peg bushings! I emailed the seller asking when and where this instrument was made, and by whom, but have not received a reply.

Any ideas? Bidding is over $1600, and the reserve has not been met, so someone must think it is a good violin. I am a rank amateur at judging violins, but this one seems fishy to me.

Mary

Looks like a nice violin, but I'd say it was brand new. The antiquing is typical of what's being done these days in Germany. One of my future projects is to develop that technique for our own varnishers.

There doesn't really seem to be any visible playing wear at all.

I'm thinking these instruments are originating in China. Some factories there are getting very good at this type of antiqueing. Recently, very similar items have been listed by sellers/dealers in various European countries, particularly Belgium and Germany.

" but this one seems fishy to me "

Yep - it's swimmin' for sure. Corners and FB edges are pristine. All the obvious wear and damage to surfaces but edges are still coated and intact from birth ? Immaculate deception........

quote:

Originally posted by:
Taylor's Fine Violins

if I were to venture a guess the neck scroll is obviously a fake, because the diagonal flaming continues through the graft

It looks discontinuous to me. I'd guess it's a real graft, but made by cutting and regluing the original head to the original neck.

Horrible looking scroll, though.

quote:

<hr>
Originally posted by:
Taylor's Fine Violins

<BR>if I were to venture a guess the neck scroll is obviously a fake, because the diagonal flaming continues through the graft<hr>

<BR>It looks discontinuous to me. I'd guess it's a real graft, but made by cutting and regluing the original head to the original neck.

<BR>

<BR>Horrible looking scroll, though.

What did it sell for? the link doesn't work anymore I thought it was worth 10-20,000 just guessign from the pictures, built aroungd 1800 Bean Fidhlie are you the one selling this violin, why else would you claim it has a neck graft when it obviously doesn;t, sincerely Lama Lyndon Pemasang Gyaltsen Hendrickson xzRinpoche, Tibet China :):):)

What did it sell for? the link doesn't work anymore I thought it was worth 10-20,000 just guessign from the pictures, built aroungd 1800 Bean Fidhlie are you the one selling this violin, why else would you claim it has a neck graft when it obviously doesn;t, sincerely Lama Lyndon Pemasang Gyaltsen Hendrickson xzRinpoche, Tibet China :):):)

No, of course I'm not the seller. And the reason why I said it looks discontinuous is because it does. Take a look at the bass-side photo of the head. See the discontinuity?

post-5853-1211629092.jpg

Oh, and the link still works fine and the fiddle sold for $2800.

Hey, for 2800 you even get your choice of chinrest!

Anyone think the button looks squashed? I'd expect more projection toward the scroll. But I'm far from an expert.