Maestronet Forums

SF Violin Scammer pleads guilty

Steve_W

Readers here may remember the case of the student violinist who scammed a bunch of dealers out of some really nice violins, violas & bows, who was arrested with one of the violins after a concert last Fall. I thought you might be interested in This Followup Article from the San Francisco Chronicle. Unfortunately it sounds like he'll get a slap on the wrist... -Steve

"[Tang] presenting himself

as both a dealer in fine stringed instruments and professional

poker player"  !!

Would have scared me away!

Concerning the judges joke, I wonder if Zukerman will try to sue

her? Maybe they can pipe Harold in Italy into the courtroom during

the trail.....

Seriously it is quite sad to see this become of such a talented

person

Fritz

$400,000 was a small fraction...just what they were able to prove...? HA! The bit about the poker playing makes me wonder about the SCRUPLES of some of Tang's victims.

On a happier note, my case has a new handle. It's leather, with two buckles. Handcuffing myself to this case is now a bigger waste of time than ever. One less way to lose an arm. Ima Case, Yura Case.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Marie Brown

$400,000 was a small fraction...just what they were able to prove...? HA! The bit about the poker playing makes me wonder about the SCRUPLES of some of Tang's victims..

Huh?

How on earth do you impugn the "scruples" of the victims based on spurious claims of the criminal?

Perhaps you'd like to make your post into something comprehensible.

Neil

quote:

Originally posted by:
vlnhunter

Apparently, he faces 20 years for each of the 10 counts in the indictment, which doesn't exactly sound like a slap on the wrist...

My guess is he'll plea-bargain and get a very reduced sentence. The judge was apparently telling viola jokes during the arraignment; doesn't sound like he's taking the case that seriously...

I'm listening on the radio right now to a piece composed by one John Stanley, who was best known during his lifetime during the 17th century as an organist and CARD PLAYER. So, you see, Sonnichs, you have no call to be scared!

Shirley

Ha-Stanley wasn't the only one. Mozart, Wagner and Kreisler

immediately come to mind but there were others. Then of course

Tartini surpassed them all when his bouts culminated in sword

fighting.

Incidently Stanley wrote a lot of nice music for manuals only.

About 30 years ago I dragged an old c.1860 two manual and

pedal Mason and Hamlin reed organ out of a funeral parlor and

rebuilt it. It had a rather powerful  "trumpet "reed stop and

I grew fond of playing Stanley's voluntaries on it.

Cheers

Fritz

Fascinating story. Sounds like Tang approached a lot of people over a span of years, and got a variety of responses, including avoidance. I never did think ALL of Tang's victims were unscrupulous. Some were probably suffering from some form of mental impairment. A few were just doing their jobs in the usual way.

As for the speculators who lost money, my own honesty is challenged by my ire about how violin investors have made it necessary for many pretty-good musicians to settle for instruments far inferior to the ones they could have afforded if they'd been born earlier. If Tang claims that such thoughts triggered his huge crime spree, he'll get no sympathy from me. Let some other cockeyed liberal pay for his medication while he strolls from table to table, collecting huge tips to pay his debt to my society.

• 3 weeks later...

I remembered a German colleaque sent Tang 2 valuable bows. After he received the bows, he stopped to communicate. The German fellow asked me for help. Since I am far from the Bay area, I posted on Maestronet pegbox to see if someone near-by would help but to no avail. I therefore advised him to report to the police. There was another con man in San Jose by the same last name as me. I don't know whether he has been locked up or not? A Canadian man, Maage who bilked investors $60 millions, is now in North Carolina jail. By comparison, Joe Tang is just a little pickpocket.