Sign in to follow this  
fernandocontra

Rehair dry or wet

I prefer wet. upon drying the few hairs that are slightly on the loose side seem to shrink up to their own tension. The hair also seems to be easier to handle while tying off because it tends to stick together in a uniform ribbon after combing out.

I was taught damp, not soaking wet. The hair expands lengthwise quite a bit when damp/wet and shrinks when dry. I expect that dry hair might also have some tendency to develop some static charge.

I rehair almost dry. By "almost dry" I mean that after combing the hair ribbon, I brush it with a (shortened-bristle) tooth brush that has been dipped in water and shaken out. The idea is to get the hair ever so slightly damp -- just enough to dissipate the static electricity.

After the hair is in, I tighten the hair, soak it, let it dry, adjust the hair length if necessary and install the ferrule wedge.

Take a week some summer and do one of Lynn Hannings courses at the University of New Hampsire. You'll have a great time. I did it last year. This year it's neck resetting at MCLA for me.

I wet a paper towel and fold it over the ribbon and run it behind the comb a few times. So the hair is just damp not really wet or soaking but definatly not dry.