Sign in to follow this  
David Burgess

Emotions are running high on Maestronet because.....

Well... you get a certain amount of Manfio's stain when you eat sausage products and lunch meats... but I think a 4% solution would do bad things to your insides... so better stay away from drinking it.

Love the espresso story!

Since I've been guilty of taking this discussion off-track, I'll try to make amends by adding in my two-cents' worth regarding emotion and running a shop.

I believe there's not much to be gained by slandering the other fellow's shop, particularly one about which you have no first-hand knowledge. Derogatory remarks damage both the target and the source. The best one can do, in my opinion, is to present your own shop in the way you'd like it to be, and leave the other shop to their own presentation style.

If there is a shop which you know behaves in a manner with which you disagree, a simple "We do things this way...." still presents your shop in a good light without degrading others.

Regarding wine, I believe it is possible to have a glass of wine without becoming a drunk. It is possible to enjoy the variety, not just the alcoholic content. It is a choice between extremism and moderation.

Regarding coffee, our local Winco has a nice dark 'Italian' roast. It is tasty, and also does a decent job of lightly staining wood. I've used coffee stain and egg-white sealer to produce a breakfast base for varnishing.

Cheers,

Ken

Hi Lyndon:

I've not responded to any of your posts before, and in fact I'm not sure how seriously to take half of what you write! But if its true you got married yesterday then congratulations! Good luck to you both!

Ed

I am an espresso maniac, I think most of my MN posts are written while drinking one, and the few that aren't are probably the bad ones

I have yet to taste american wine, but I am sure I am missing something there. From my years in Italy I got into the mindset that wine is mostly something that goes with food, a very healthy attitude I think.

Cremonese food nowdays is quite similar to the rest of the Po valleys, lots of meat (not so much beef, but pork, horse and birds) and cheese, (gorgonzola is nearby, and so is Parma), so the local wines are mostly refreshing, tannic wines of good but not very "important" quality, usually from "Colli Piacentini" or finer ones from the Veneto or Piedmontese districts. Sparkling reds made of Barbera grapes are a local speciality, and you actually become fond of it after a while.

Strangely this is not the Cremonese cuisine that our friends from the past would have known. Cremonese food in those days was probably based mostly on fish from the Po river, and that has been completely eliminated since then. Already long ago, the fish from the Po became inedible due to the arrival of industrialized farming, and also the river changed it's course and is not running right next to the town of Cremona as it used to in Strads' time. Cheese-making was probably a speciality then as well, but cheese and fish are kept miles apart in italian kitchens, and I am pretty sure they did so back then too. So I guess they ate cheese only when they got tired of fish?

Ken,

Does the Winco near you have the "gourmet" coffee bean selection, put out by Java? If so, my "pizen of choice" has been the Java Rocket--the beans look like coffee-bean-shaped lumps of tar, they are so dark, and the flavor has an almost pungent character--you might not like it. But then I do make my coffee pretty strong, as I said. :-) Lately, I have been mixing some ot the hazelnut beans with it, or the vanilla stuff, to mellow it a bit. (Must be getting old...)

Chet

Hi Chet,

Maybe it's the same brand -- bulk bins, with bags that read: Cascade Pride, Gourmet Coffee, Java.

I'll have to look for that selection next time. I like about 90-weight myself. Make it through the expresso maker a few times a day.

Haven't yet gotten to the hazelnut or vanilla, but in the past couple years, I've been adding some milk.

Yes -- that gettin' old thing.

Ken

Coffee is coffee. Drink the basic stuff (regular with cream or without cream).

Sugar is not good. You don't need it. All other stuff are gimmicks.

( I can use a break, now)

Yuen -- you might as well say a violin is a violin.

In our defense, I will say that Winco is a regional low-cost grocery chain. The coffee is quite a step above the canned stuff, though not as expensive as the name-brand stuff, plus you get the pleasure of grinding the beans. They offer a fairly cheap gorgonzola as well.

Ken

Ah! I forgot to mention...I stretch my dollar by purchasing a can of the commercial brand "French Roast", then mixing about a pound of the "gourmet" stuff with the much cheaper canned stuff, to get more bang for my buck. That does dumb-down the flavor a bit, but that's OK. I don't have an espresso maker, and haven't had a cup in a year or so. My coffee isn't much below the espresso on the Richter scale...

And you are right about the cost-- Winco beats Fourbucks all hollow that way-- :-)

Now they are even saying coffee is good for you. Probably a government plot... (where's my foil hat, now...)

Speaking of coffees, do any other canuk violin makers share my

addiction to tim hortons? At some stages of the building process, I

swear you can see a correlation between my progress and the count

of tims cups!

hey, maybe i could get a sweet commercial deal out of it!

quote:

Originally posted by:
yuen

Coffee is coffee. Drink the basic stuff (regular with cream or without cream).

No, no, no.... Them is fightin' words, Yuen!!! No Folgers for me!!!

(ohhhhh, ohhhhh... think maybe I had one too many cups today! Now where did I put that bridge knife??)

Coffee has different meanings in different places... the best ones are served in Italy and France, spresso coffee. I'm a spresso maniac, I have a La Pavone Europiccola machine, that old style one with a lever.

The best spresso coffee I ever had was made by Toby Appel in NY, he is a coffee maniac.

quote:

Originally posted by:
MANFIO

The best spresso coffee I ever had was made by Toby Appel in NY, he is a coffee maniac.

Now there's a scary thought... A violist on caffeine...

(Please don't hit me Marilyn! )

For brewed coffee try French Market Coffee and Chicory.

Strong, less acidic. Use 1/3rd the amount of grounds than regular coffee.

Drinks well without sugar (without cream for that matter); great for cafe au lait.

French Market Coffee

Coffee and Chicory also brews very well in the "cold water process" which is good for folks who have been told they can't drink coffee due to acidity. Look up Toddy Coffee Maker...

Pound of coffee + 60 oz water + 19 hours = a carafe of coffee syrup you can use to make "instant" coffee -- or mix with cold or hot milk.

Yum.

City Blend. It's a regular grind.

The important thing is that I have found that coffee & chicory works much better than regular coffee.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Jeffrey Holmes
quote:

Originally posted by:
MANFIO

Now there's a scary thought... A violist on caffeine...

Neil