jezzupe

your favorite players

Depends on the piece. For Bach, I like Szeryng. For Beethoven, Oistrakh. For Mozart, Szymon Goldberg. For other pieces, other soloists.

I admire all of them but for me two great individualists stand out: Joseph Szigeti and Alfredo Campoli. Everything about them is unique: their sound, their musicianship, their technique and to some extent, their repertoire.

Ron

I appreciate most fine players, but I think Zino Francescatti was something special. He always had something to say (musically).

Of the younger generation, I enjoy Phillippe Quint.

Perlman, Stern and Hillary Hahn for classical (ask me next week and I might give you 3 different ones) for fiddling; Mark O'Conner, Aubrey Haynie, Liz Carroll, Stewart Duncan, Gabe Witcher, Alasdair Frasier, Darol Anger, Joe Venuti, Grapelli.....yada yada yada

David B

TODAY I researched another favorite recording from my youth. At twenty-three, I was wearing out library records on a plastic foldout player. I liked to sit or lie on the floor right in front of it, to get the "stereo" effect.

One night not long ago I heard an interview with a jazz expert, who stated that kids today have too many recordings. It seems that the type of listening I did as a youngster is in the early life of nearly every successful jazzer. When they get ahold of something they like, these kids listen like mad, until they know exactly what it is they're hearing.

Until this evening I was puzzled by my long-ago choice for a Bruch recording. Now I see that I was and am in extremely good company. Campoli

Here's the one from yesterday.

I wonder where the violinist in this recording is now.

The performance gives me a sensation like the one I had when I first heard this Josef Suk recording of the Dvorak Romance. I was driving east on 80 through Pennsylvania on a clear day in April, cold sober, and suddenly everything was PERFECT. No clips? Take my word for it, your money will be well spent.

So many great violinists and so many great performances, but the one who has just always been the standard for me is Perlman. He just did it for so long, so well, so effortlessly. Many discount him because his interpretations became standards that everyone emmulated, so they don't seem fresh perhaps to today's ears. But there is no weakness in his playing. Sound, precision, passion, finesse, the closest thing to perfection.

There were rare occasions that he just got worn out and slipped a bit, but it was always temporary.

But, as I said, I enjoy so many.

Rachel Podger; Leila Josefowicz; Laura Risk.

Steven Isserlis; Jaap Ter Linden; Wendy Warner; Abby Newton; Alban Gerhardt.

Pierre Fournier; Maurice Gendron. Circa 1930 Casals.

How's that for an eclectic group? :)

My #1 favorite is Jascha Heifetz.  My #2 favorite is Itzhak

Perlman.  And my #3 favorite is Issac Stern.  

HEIFETZ & Perlman While listening to a Heifetz recordig as a child, I got "hooked" on the violin! Perlman has such flair and is so expressive in his music!

My very favorite violinist, Stephane Grappelli, because he was a creative rather than an interpretive player.

Living violinist.  Hilary Hahn , Julia Fischer and Roman Kim for classical music.