Sign in to follow this  
C.B.Fiddler

This ebay fiddle has verifiable tonal proof

This made me laugh out loud. Complete with "tonal color wheel" and a "detailed tone evaluation chart." Unquestionable evidence of superiority from a $300 fiddle.

dZViewItem">Detailed tone evaluation chart

Where can I get my violin tested to see if it can compete?

CB

This is not a $300 fiddle. It will sell for much more than that and deservedly so.

The problem with selling fiddles on eBay is that everyone asks the question 'How does it sound?'.

I never know how to deal with that issue and the sound doesn't affect the value anyway.

How do you respond to this question?

Glenn

I am truly amazed that ebay buyers are so willing to part with thousands of dollars for an instrument that they have never heard, played, or personally examined. In many cases these buyers have little or no chance of getting their money back. In the case of the violin under discussion, the seller says the buyer can get a full refund if the violin is not as portrayed. Well, the seller's cute evaluation of tone is at best, only his opinion, after all. Tone evaluation is not a science but a matter of personal taste. So if a buyer, after trying the violin, doesn't like it, how can he/she prove that the instrument was not as portrayed? I, for one, would never bid on an instrument which was not returnable for any reason. Any seller who will not take back merchandise if it doesn't please the buyer, will never see a penny of my money. And, as an occasional seller, I practice what I preach. I will never get rich this way, but I will never hurt anybody, either.

I believe this seller does provide a full satsfaction guarantee. He says: "guaranteed to be as good as portrayed" I think that means as good as the buyer should expect from the description..

About a year ago, when he first phoned me for advise, I suggested that a full guarantee is necessary to be successful selling old volins on line. It is just good business. He agreed and I would ask him directly about his return policy. I think it may be fair to assume the best in this case.

I like the tone color wheel and the tone checklist. Not only is it cute and colorful, but also potentially informative. I think most eBay customers would prefer a simple ranking of 1-10 with 10 being the "perfect" sounding violin and 1 being nasty. Most violins would have to rank between 9.0 and 9.99 for them to get a bid, and then only those between 9.95 and 10 would make serious money.

Jesse

It looks good to me. I read his About Me page and visited his web

site.  I like the chart he has and his guarantee is about as

good as it gets. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.

Jude

I think he's an MNetter, isn't he? I suppose it could be a different "Dan Keller", though.

I'm surprised that he thinks that the one he's calling a Chappuy is "strikingly similar" to the images he supplies for comparison. To me they don't look at all alike. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong features.