Maestronet Forums

Favorite pencil for marking music?

baton12

I've noticed that a lot of professional string players are picky about the pencils they use for marking music, especially orchestra parts. I've seen many drafting pencils like Staedtler and Derwent. I've recently stumbled onto a great Japanese pencil called the Tombow Mono 100 (2B) which is fantastic for marking those upbows and downbows. What are everyone's favorites? Does anyone know what the librarians in the big orchestras use?

Funny you should mention this. My wife makes fun of me for my 6 or 7 boxes of Ticonderoga Ex-soft pencils that I adamantly reserve as "violin pencils only." They are run-of-the-mill wooden yellow pencils, but the ex-soft lead keeps me from having to hold the stand while making markings. I bought a small pencil sharpener from an art store that fits in my case - and will sharpen the pencil to a point that would poke out a fly's eye.

It's funny how we have our routines...

Mirado "the world's smoothest writing pencil" (it says on the box). I was taking theory last year and my pencils kept chipping and getting strange shapes. Somebody told me that the better pencils have something soft like wax (?) mixed in with the lead. I also bought a decent pencil sharpener that holds the shavings, and a white eraser. What's good for theory is also good for marking scores.

How about one of these for rehearsals with metal music stands?

(Mine always seems to disappear behind the music or end up on the floor)

magnetic pencil holder

phmt.jpg

Just a thought about extra soft pencils - (B4's and softer?)

They may be easier to apply but they may also be more difficult to remove

if you want to erase or change the markings subsequently

- on some types of paper anyway.

I seem to remember someone recommending B to B2 as about the best.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Omobono

How about one of these for rehearsals with metal music stands?

(Mine always seems to disappear behind the music or end up on the floor)

phmt.jpg

I have a Wittner wooden stand at home and using some self-adhesive velcro, I've taped a patch on the underside of the music shelf. I then taped a thin band of the other kind of velcro around the pencil. I had to experiment with the width of the velcro on the pencil to get just the right amount of "stick" without being too strong.

This also works with Manhasset stands which unfortunately are only receptive to magnets on the shaft.

I've been happy with a Pentel P209 drafting pencil, which uses 0.9mm lead; I usually use 2B (the softest available) or HB leads. It's aways sharp and there's a decent replaceable white eraser under the cap (I use Pentel's Clic Eraser for bigger erasing jobs--it never dries out or smears and lifts lead better than any other eraser I've used). I got tired of not being able to find a pencil so I bought a bunch of them; think I must have 10 or so around the apartment, in various cases and music bags, etc.! -Steve