First scroll pictures

Here are a couple of photos of my first scroll attempt. I haven't completed the fluting yet. This is a practice scroll with only a little flame. I have a higher flamed piece that I'm hoping to use on the violin. I'd like to get some constructive (or otherwise) criticism.

At this point I feel the chamfer is too wide, and I'm not sure if I've started the undercutting, near the throat, correctly.

Sweet!

A suggestion...

Next time I would suggest that you carve out the pegbox before fluting the back of the scroll.

In this way you are less likely to damage the edges on the back of the scroll when you apply pressure within the pegbox.

Have a look at Manfio's scroll pictures - he flutes the volutes early in the process, but leaves the scroll fluting till after the pegbox is finished.

Chris, did you see Manfio's recent thread about carving a scroll? If not, just look back a page or two, I'm pretty sure it'll still be fairly near the top. He covered the topic really well. Your scroll is looking really nice - great start! I really like the look of it, but as iburkard says, it's not so much what it looks like in isolation, but the total picture of the instrument all assembled. I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of flame, if I were you. Yes, I did choose a nicely-flamed back, but next time, I'm not so sure I would. At least I wouldn't automatically reach for the flames. One thing I'm coming to know, is that making a violin does (or can) change one's perspective regarding aesthetics. I think I've undergone a bit of an attitude shift over the past year. One of the most challenging aspects, I'm finding, is the constant shift between micro and macro. I'll get really involved in a tiny detail, like the purfling, or the channel (I wear bifocals, so I find myself taking my glasses off to do the close-in work), then I need to remind myself to put the glasses back on, step back, and look hard at the work from a bit of distance, or change of perspective, change the lighting, etc. Otherwise, you can get lost in the details...

Anyway, I wouldn't worry, your scroll is looking really nice. Very cool. Hope mine looks as good...

[edit] I will say, I think digital photography is one of the most awesome tools we have. It lets you look really close at the details, in different lighting conditions, and you can see stuff you might otherwise miss...

corner11.jpg

quote:

Originally posted by:
Tim McTigue
Chris, did you

see Manfio's recent thread about carving a scroll? If not, just

look back a page or two, I'm pretty sure it'll still be fairly near

the top. He covered the topic really well. Your scroll is looking

really nice - great start!IMG]

Here it is for those that will look for it in the future, one of

the all time best posts ever made here at Maestronet.

"http://www.maestronet.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=317301&highlight_key=y&keyword1=neck">

MANFIO's Neck Pictures

Keep up the nice work Chris!

Thanks for the input everyone. It's certainly an enjoyable challenge.

Janito, Thanks, that's an important point. I was anxious to try the fluting and didn't think about the implications. I should have known that you can't jump around when building a violin.

Tim, Newnewbie, Janito, I did enjoy the scroll post my Manfio but I could not see/open many of the pictures. I often get a little white square (with a red "X" in the middle) where the picture is supposed to be. I thought it was a posting error but on a business trip last week I used the hotel computer and all of the photos were available. It is a great post!

Tim, I agree the process of making a violin changes the way you look at everything. Even in my early stages of the build I don't believe I'll ever look at an instrument the same way again, certainly not a violin.

The project continues, I jointed the front and back plates and glued the front plate today. It took me hours to get it (what I hope is) right. I never realized how physically hard it would be to push the maple along a shooting board!

Chris, you want physical... wait till you're carving the back (inside or outside, take your pick). Congrats on getting the joints done, I know what you mean about the feeling of trepidation. I started carving out the inside of my first back today, and the good news is, it looks like the joint will be good on both sides. Whew! Also, you might want to check out this thread where Seth Leigh shows a really nice fixture for jointing - WAY better than a shooting board, and you move the PLANE, not the wood. Works really well. I had tried just about everything to get the back joint right, and had planed off about 3/4" of wood in the process (at least!). No luck, till Seth showed me his way. I had the joint done the next day...

Hello Tim. It's got to be better pushing the plane past the maple instead of vice-versa. I made a setup today using my jointer bed (the only really flat thing in the shop). The planer has a little rabbit on the side. I clamped the plane in the rabbit (with a little strip of wood to protect the blade). This allows the lower part of the plane blade to be below the bed of the planer. It was nice, strong and stiff. I clamped a block in front of the plane just like violin88 wrote about in the post (this thread) you showed me. It worked perfectly on the spruce but it was difficult to pull the maple past the plane without lossing contact or chattering. I finally got it. I was pulling .002-inch (.05mm) shavings. (I don't know if thats good or not but It worked for me).

By the way, I used the jointer (under power) to get most of the work done, but I really wanted to get that super flat surface using the hand plane. It just makes you feel good.

I'm glad to hear you got a good joint.