Sign in to follow this  
sonnichs

source for SMALL hide glue pot

My 50 year old Hold-Heet glue pot is ready for it's 3rd rebuild. I

bought it around 25 years ago predominantly for keyboard instrument

work, however I have always felt as though it is too large (1 qt)

for violin work and I always fill it with water insert a 50ml

beaker to hold the glue.

At any rate it is failing and rather than get into it's

asbestos innards again I thought that it is time to buy a new

pot.  I can get another Hold-Heet however I was looking in the

usual places for a much smaller one more appropriate to the violin

shop, hopefully with a solid start thermistor (I never thought that

the bimetal ones were that accurate).

I was quite surprised to find little or nothing out

there-only a cheap hobbyist pot  for about 10$ which does not

appear to have a thermo.

Is it time to buy another hold-heet model or can someone

point me to a smaller model?

Thanks

Fritz

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/hide_glue.htm

They have the pint model in addition to the quart model. For the longest time I didn't even know there was a pint model. I bought the quart model 10 years ago and it's working fine.

Were you able to rebuild your pot yourself or did you send it to Emco?

I think there's a contest here on maestronet to see who can use the simplest, least expensive makeshift "glue pot" around. There's all kinds of cheapies on eBay, baby bottle warmers, crockpots, irons that have all been used. I think you and I are one of the few that use the commerically made ones!

Thanks.

I guess I never realized that Hold-Heet offered a pint model-that

should work well.

I rebuilt the pot myself the last few times. You need a banding

pliers for the element and an ohm-meter to troubleshoot. On the old

models like mine you need to be willing to work around friable

asbestos. Other than that they are pretty simple to rebuild.

My pot is pretty old however-the metal will probably have

pinholes in a few years, the "can" isn't grounded to 3 wire and I

suppose it is ready for retirement.

Yes-for occasional users a pot can be built-the tough part is

winding the nichrome to get the right resistance and temperature

curve to prevent overheating. I always respect innovation. That

said,  the glue pot is just one of those tools I would rather

not worry about however-just plug it in and let it do it's

thing.

Cheers and thanks

Fritz

I did not want to spend $100 on a glue pot. So, I spent $3.00 on one at a local thrift shop. Some of the guys on this forum gave me the idea.

http://www.wes-boyd.com/Images...ceTop/4MakingGlue.jpg

Hey, don't laugh. It has a rheostat temperature control. The outside is labeled Toastmasters (a fluid warmer). You will notice the real small glue vial in the picture.

Hey, if it works it works. I almost feel foolish about shelling out the $$$ for the Hold-Heet. Although it has been completely reliable and trouble-free thus far. Another plus is that it's American-made when very little is anymore. I'm hoping it turns out to be worth it in the long run. I'll get back to you guys in 30 years...

Hey, wait a minute. I just realized I made the same exact post the last time this thread came up!

Thanks Wesley. I pinched a hotplate out of the physics lab to get

me thru the week. It worked OK but the temperature wandered at lot

and I got stuck into a an infinite PID loop trying to

zero the theromstat  in on 140 deg.

I must admit that the left over 97 bucks must be nice- ya can

buy a lot of glue and beer..........

Try one of these:

gluepot.jpg

A baby bottle warmer with a food jar cut into the warming tray. Temperature varies by a few degrees but providing you set it to max at 140 it really isn't a problem.

I also have a baby bottle warmer. I can keep the temperature low and when I need it I crank it up and it get hot very fast. Also if it runs dry it doesn't overheat. The plastic is easy to clean and is non reactive. Purchased new it's only about $10

~OK

Almost on topic...I don't think anyone has recently repeated the lamented Michael

Darnton's suggestion of microwaving glue for the initial dissolution, or re-heating.

For me it has saved time, and I almost never have a mold problem (I guess the spores

die horribly in the microwave radiation).

Dave Gardner

I use the large Hold-Heet, using the removable pot to hold a water bath. The glue is in a glass jar. The hot water is handy for diluting glue, cleanup and cleaning brushes.

I don't think I'd want to give up the convenience of being able to grab the inner pot by the handle, and take it over to the sink to rinse or fill, without needing to unplug the unit and take the whole thing to the sink.

Can do the same thing for gluing too......don't need to unplug and move the whole unit.

Mine's lasted about 30 years so far without problems, although the removable inner pot may be close to pinhole perforation.

For me, $4 per year is a small price to pay for this convenience.

Update:

My Hold-Heet glue pot of 12 years just crapped out yesterday. I called Emco here in Chicago and he said it sounded like the thermostat. I shipped it off today to get it fixed, he said it would be ready within the week. Approximate cost to fix including shipping: $60. Better than $120 for a new one.

I bought a used baby bottle warmer for the music store I do repairs for a while back for $5. It lasted a year before it fried.

I had hoped I would have gotten a little more out of the Hold-Heet before it needed it's first repair, but I'm glad it's repairable and I can get it serviced locally. I can find a makeshift working replacement for substantially less than $60, but I'm kind of attached to the Hold-Heet and don't want to toss it.

I don't mess with electrical work myself, that's someone else's job...

I still have an old glass baby botle from when my daughter was a baby (now 21 yo) I can't find glass baby bottles any more. Anyone know where I can find some?

Oded

Woops, never mind I found some

I just a got a call from Emco. Apparently the electrical innards are completely corroded and the pot will have to be rebuilt. He offered to completely rebuild it for $75 including return shipping. Fine by me.

Apparently water gets under the liner and seeps down into the electrical works and corrodes things. Lately I've made it a point to wipe off the bottom of the pot liner after cleaning it before replacing it into the pot, as I could see the rivets getting a little rusty. He said corrosion is a common problem as water almost always works it's way inside and corrodes the inner workings.

Until then I picked up a $5 used baby bottle warmer at a children's resale shop to hold me over until the glue pot gets shipped back to me next week. I hope it last's until then...