Maestronet Forums

Carving a scroll step by step (or almost)

MANFIO

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally found a home on the web for my pdf. It's the same as Carlos really but without the web items so my version might be slightly lacking. Anyway, the link is http://www.scribd.com/groups/view/7795-violing-making. Additionally, I posted a pdf for Manfio's corner tutorial on this same site. They are both excellent. Thanks again, Manfio!

• 4 years later...

Now I'll trace the circle lines to start removing the wood from the sides of the pegbox. Notice how the back of the soundbox starts with a relative parallel lines and then tapers. Some pegboxes are formed by a continuous tapering of the sides, making them a bit "triangular", I don't like this type of sounbox back, I prefer this type I'm making that is found in the best Italian School:

DSC00612.jpg

Photos from photobuccket are being shown cut here...

Could anybody tell me if one can found this technique in any book?

Thanks,

In the Italian edition it is on page 123 and 124: "Sulla mezzeria delf intero sviluppo di molti ricci sono rimasti tuttavia visibili i {ori prodotti dalla punta del compasso usato in queste operazioni e successivamenteri empiti di vernice", with a photo of the viola tenore "Medicea" clearly showing the small holes left by the dividers.

I finally found a home on the web for my pdf. It's the same as Carlos really but without the web items so my version might be slightly lacking. Anyway, the link is http://www.scribd.co...-violing-making. Additionally, I posted a pdf for Manfio's corner tutorial on this same site. They are both excellent. Thanks again, Manfio!

your link can not be found?

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

This thread has aged well.

It's great to see that some people are generous enough to share their methods, instead of being secretive as the trade has traditionally been.

I'm getting back on the horse regarding violins, and this has been a great read.

Cheers!

Edited by mayrluthier

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, reg said:

Ok many thanks I got Carl's pdf  Appreciate your efforts!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, reg said:

Manfio I really got enthused by this thread - but :( I saw all your first pictures but not any of these! Thank you anyways

If you google MANFIO CARVING SCROLL TUTORIAL you will find PDFs made about it, with all the photos. There is a version in Italian too.

4 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Just curious, how many hours do you need for one scroll?

Oh, I can carve a scroll in less than 3 days. My record is a viola in 21 days, including oil varnish, now with a player of the Gewandhaus Leipzig.

13 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I have often thought of this post but have been unable to save it. Is there a way to save a post for future reference?

You can click on the top right icon and share to your email. Or you could if on a computer save the link to a folder on your desk top by click and hold the left mouse button and drag to your folder.