Sign in to follow this  
JohnCockburn

bass bar frame

Hello all,

thought some of you might be interested in a cheap effective and easy to make bass bar frame/fixture. It's based on the Curtin/Alf design, except I used 15mm ply instead of perspex, and simpler aluminium "sliders". The sliders are adjusted to support the bar in the correct position, allowing reproducible placement of the bar during fitting and gluing.

Please excuse the rudimentary workmanship*, it was just put together quickly as a "feasibility study". It works really well: maybe I'll make a posher version when i get a round tuit.

*and the messy bench!

John,

I like the simplicity, and I am sure to steal most of this idea. One question though, why

do the sliders sit on the "uphill" side of the BB? It seems to me that they would be more

of a help in gluing if they were on the downhill side, toward which the glue-slickened bar

wants to slide.

Dave Gardner

I fairly mindlessly plagiarised the Curtin/Alf design (Strad, November 2005) including the location of the "sliders". The bar shows no tendency at all to slide downhill during clamping/glue-up. I think the sliders would get in the way a bit if they were on the downhill side. Of course, if you make a frame like this you can put them where you want.

quote:

Originally posted by:
JohnCee

I fairly mindlessly plagiarised the Curtin/Alf design...

It's OK, you probably haven't plagiarized anything. Setups like these were around before Curtin and Alf were born.

Not much is new in the violin business except machines, analytical methods, and materials.

John, where'd you get those screw mechanisms that you screwed onto the wooden clamp frames? That's pretty cool, enabling one to make whatever clamp shape or size that one needs for a particular application. I wouldn't mind getting some of those.

I bet he got the screws out of existing c-clamps (They look very similar to the ones in the c-clamps in the photo) and drilled and tapped the plates for them to go through. OR maybe, to avoid finding a way to remount the screws in a threaded hole, he cut off the threaded hole part from the 'donor' clamps and has them morticed in place under those plates?

I like them too, well done.

Hi David: I know that C&A didn't invent the bass bar frame, but I thought the idea of moveable arms to locate the bar was a nice innovation on their part.

Hi Seth: Andres gets top marks for observation. His first guess is right, except I didn't cut a thread for the screws, I inserted a nut into a stepped hole on the top of the frame, which is held in place by the little metal plates. I made my own because it seems impossible to find lightweight deep throat clamps in the UK for any kind of reasonable cost.

Hi NewNewbie: nowhere near as often as I should!

quote:

Originally posted by:
JohnCee

Hi David: I know that C&A didn't invent the bass bar frame, but I thought the idea of moveable arms to locate the bar was a nice innovation on their part.

Hi John. I was talking about the arms on the frame. Weisshaar described one that was in the Herrmann shop when he worked there (1940?), but the arms came from the other side. He didn't know who'd made it, thought perhaps Sacconi. He never saw anyone use it though.

That's interesting, David. Actually the only reason to mention C&A was to make it clear that I wasn't claiming this to be my own idea. Curtin's strad article is useful to look at, though, if anyone is interested in making such a device.