Sign in to follow this  
mommag

Need advice on digital recorder

I need your advice in choosing a digital recorder.  I am

looking for something small, not too expensive and easy to use

since I am not digital savvy.  Do you use one to record for

your audition cd?  Can you also give me some tips when

recording on what to do, what not to do?  Thanks!

I've heard good reports about the Eridol R-09 as well as the Zoom H2. The Eridol is about $300 as I recall, and the Zoom is a bit under $200. They are both very portable and record WAV and MP3 in several stereo modes. Both have bigger brothers if you have more $$$. They are better but physically bigger.

Reviews have also mentioned some areas for improvement with both products. If I were in the market, I'd try the Zoom.

I have a $50 Olympus digital voice recorder (mono) which has a "Hi Quality" setting which is not too bad for music, at least for an undemanding ear. Probably good enough to record practice sessions and lessons. It comes with SW to transfer files to your PC via USB. Then you can burn CDs if you want.

HS

You should bring a laptop and microphone to the pianist's house. You can use a computer program called audacity for recording- it's a free software and very easy to use. One tip- if you're transferring the recording onto a cd, you should save it in WAV form which is a lossless file (meaning that no sound quality is lost). Many people make the mistake of saving it as an mp3 since it's so common, but sound quality degrades if you save it as a mp3.

I have an Ederol - and it is really great. It's the first time I've actually been able to record my instruments and judge the differences between them - also the flaws, etc. in my own playing. The size is so small that I can record a concert with the Ededrol in my shirt pocket.

My son (doesn't live with me) recently bought a Zoom that he is happy with -- but he is also a recording engineer with a whole studio - and ehe likes the 4 tracks you can record on the zoom and the fact that it lets him record "on the road" without carrying his whole studio in the van. The zoom is a little to big for shirt-pocket recording.

I can actually use the Ederol to record "listen only" internet sites, transfer them into my I-Tunes and create a CD. I use a 2-GB SD card in my Ederol and I get over 2 hrs of CD quality recording on it. If I record in a MP-3 mode I can get a day's worth of recording.

Given my uses I think I would still have chosen the Ederol over the Zoom, even for the extra $100.

Andy

Violinplayer555, I wish I could, but my daughter broke our laptop and it may cost more than we paid for it, so I haven't got around to have it fixed. Andrew and Hank, I'll look into Ederol and Zoom (yes, $100 less sounds appealing though). Are they easy to use? I am really bad with mechanical things that my husband won't even trust me with camcorders Hope they are push and record type of things.

From what I've heard, they are both quite easy to use. Andrew Victor can give you his first-hand impressions. I have a colleague, well into her 60's (I'm catching up fast) who says the Eridol is a snap.

Both units allow the built-in microphones that can be configured in several ways and allow the recording level to be set. That's probably the most complicated part, but I think once that is done, recording is a 1-button operation.

If you google either of these, you will fine sites including reviews that might be helpful.

HS

I just got an Olympus DS 30..easy to use, keep it in vilin case..

just recorded a whole weekend of Scottish Fiddle workshop (plus the after hours jamming) with room to spare.

THe Edirol is nice but I did not want to spend that much money.

THe Olympus has a slow playback feature too

Here's a slighly out-of-the-box suggestion...

Do you have a Point and Shoot digital camera with a movie mode? You could record the video in a .mov file.

Quick and easy but with limited fidelity on the sound. I'd give it a try.

Mike, I do have a digital camera with a video mode which I never used (see I was afraid I'd mess up the camera! ) I might try it for fun. On another note, I need a quality recording to submit for the audition in the future. They say on the web that the recording doesn't have to be professionaly done, but the sound quality will affect the audition, so I'm wondering how well does it have to sound recording wise?

I think Zoom H2 is the hottest portable recorder nowadays, and for

a good reason.

I recommend buying pro-audio products from "http://www.sweetwater.com/c860--Flash_Players_Recorders">Sweetwater

Their shipping is fast and free (no minimum purchase), and

the service amazing.

I dealt with them many times and could not be more satisfied.

Andres,

I am plesently surprised...there are different "voice" recording sensitivities, so as long as you pay attention to those, you arein great shape.

Before the digital, I used a minidisc (still have it, a Sony) witha n external mic that recorded beautifully...but the hassle (to me) of "real time"uploading to computer and then editing, using Audacity, made it almost not much fun to deal with.

With the Olympus, you can plug and play via a USB...this alone is well worth the marginal difference in sound quality. A friend of mine did a "session" recording and the cd that was made was really really good.

the ONLY thing I don't like about teh digital is that there is no way to name a file...the files are all stored in folders, which you can rename from the computer...

...but I am not using the Olympus as a storage device (like an I Pod) anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Ferbose

I think Zoom H2 is the hottest portable recorder nowadays, and for

a good reason.

I recommend buying pro-audio products from <a href=

"

Their shipping is fast and free (no minimum purchase), and

the service amazing.

I dealt with them many times and could not be more satisfied.

I second the recommendation on Sweetwater; I've used them for pro audio equipment for several years and have been very happy with the service and support I've received from them. I've also been looking for a digital recorder to replace my old minidisk recorder and agree that the Zoom H2 seems to be the leading candidate for my needs. -Steve

quote:

Sunnybear said:
the ONLY thing I don't like about teh digital is that there is no way to name a file...the files are all stored in folders, which you can rename from the computer...

Thats not entirely true, I have the Zoom H4 and with the latest firmware upgrade lets you rename files through the menu system. It even has a function to divide single recordings into separate tracks which is a really big plus when you have just recorded a long session.

I do not know if the H2 has these options but the H4 is a great piece of equipment.