Maestronet Forums

Corelli Crystal

Banzai

I'm prolific tonight with my questions. So here we go.

A while back I was talking to a talented fiddler (who was part of my impetus to finally start playing) and I asked her what strings she used. Her reply surprised me.

Corelli Crystal.

Not a string I've heard of often in connection to Irish/Scottish fiddle music.

She said she plays Crystals for the following reasons:

Durability/Longevity: She said that the strings play to breakage without getting dull or fading.

Breaking in: When or if a string breaks, she said a new string blends into the other three without a breaking in period.

Playability: She also claimed that they play well, and are "quick" for fiddle music.

I've searched this board, and I can find very little about them. A variety of online reviews (Ifshin, Strings) say little save that it's a Perlon core string with a "dark" sound.

I'd really like to hear the opinions of people on this board who have played Crystals.

Cheers!

I've bought a dozen or so sets of Crystals when my suppliers have had them on sale. I've sold a few, put some on instruments I sell, and play them sometimes myself. I like them fine, but haven't heard anyone mention longevity as a particular attribute of them before.

They are fine, quality strings at a bargain price. They are very smooth sounding without a hint of metallic sound even when first put on (as implied in your comments). They can border on being dull sounding, but on the right instrument are very nice. I've got a set on the violin that I posted questions about in this thread. I intended to put something else on once I got the violin settled in, but this fiddle is very quick and lively and seems to like these strings better than any other violin I've had them on.

I don't notice the Crystals being quicker than comparable strings, but it's a hard judgment for me to make since I play on a wide variety of strings and have become fairly adaptable to the differences. I would have thought that they are comparable to Dominant and Tonica in that regard.

They are perfectly fine strings and worth your giving them a try to see whether they suit you. Their low price may be their biggest attribute-especially in light of the recent price increases on most strings.

I do think that the "e" in this set is a real sleeper. To me it has a bit fuller sound than Goldbrakat-more like Gold Label, though I haven't gotten around to comparing those two directly yet. And very reasonably priced individually.

I've used 2 sets of crystals on my 3/4, a new handmade european thingy. It was dull with obligatos, the crystals are brighter, and I find them much quicker to play on than dominants with a nicer sound. They don't seem to offer any resistance, and they stayed true for about 4 m or maybe 5 months. As a comparison, I currently have Warchal Ametyst, which seem similar, probably brighter again but its been a while. I'd bought 2 more sets of the Corelli's though, and will try a wondertone e since I get whistles on the crystal e.

As an aside, Warchal contacted me after I wrote in another forum of my experience using another of their lines (Karneol), which weren't so successful, and they have very quickly provided a complimentary set of Ametyst. I figure you can't go past great customer service, so may end up with Ametysts as my regular strings.

I have one fiddle, a "Schweitzer" copy, that sounds better with Crystals than any other synthetic string I've tried on it. (I use Tonicas on my 2 other lesser fiddles and Infeld Reds on my main instrument; I've tried the Schweitzer with Infelds, Dominants, Tonicas and probably a couple others I don't remember.) Crystals are a decent string at a really good price. They work very well for the Scottish stuff. I can't say I've noticed that they have a longer life than the others though.

Good stuff, and I appreciate the replies.

Perhaps I'll try a set...I don't really know. So far nothing has pried me from Dominant. My only venture away was with a free set of Wondertone...and when I was done I was happy to go back to Dominant.

If nothing else I may give that "sleeper E" a try. I used a Pirastro Gold Label for a time, and I'm currently using a Hill "Special" E. Couldn't hurt to try the Crystal E.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Banzai

Good stuff, and I appreciate the replies.

Perhaps I'll try a set...I don't really know. So far nothing has pried me from Dominant. My only venture away was with a free set of Wondertone...and when I was done I was happy to go back to Dominant.

If nothing else I may give that "sleeper E" a try. I used a Pirastro Gold Label for a time, and I'm currently using a Hill "Special" E. Couldn't hurt to try the Crystal E.

It is hard to beat Dominants with a Gold Label e. It is easy to get distracted from the task at hand by the nearly infinite variety of strings available.

I agree with Banzai and Mark. It's going to take a good one, to beat a set of Dominants. Just my opinion of course. I have been playing the Crystals

for three days now, and so far, so good. They have required very little tuning, and have quite a quick response. I will be able to tell more,

after a about a week of playing. I hope the E string will improve a little during this time.

I agree that Dominants work very well on a lot of instruments, but

they're far from the best on many, in my experience.

Currently, I own two violins, an early-20th century German

with a warm, darkish tone, and an early-20th century French

with a very bright tone.  I own two violas, a brilliant yet

warm early-20th century American viola, 16 3/8", and an early 19th

century German viola, 15 1/2."  

On the early-20th century French, Dominants sound very dull.

Didn't try the silver d -- that might have helped.  On

the early 19th century viola, Dominants sounded very harsh.

They're among the best I've tried on the other two.  

Thanks for the answers to my question.

I've actually decided to try a set of Violinos on my fiddle in a month or so. My Dominants are at about the 6 month point, and still doing good...but I've been feeling the itch to try another string. Call it conspicuous consumerism if you will.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Banzai

Thanks for the answers to my question.

I've actually decided to try a set of Violinos on my fiddle in a month or so. My Dominants are at about the 6 month point, and still doing good...but I've been feeling the itch to try another string. Call it conspicuous consumerism if you will.

That's an unusual choice. What is your goal in the string quest? I'm assuming that your violin seems too bright to you now?

Funny enough, I don't have a specific goal. I'm just curious.

I could happily play Dominant for, well, conceivably forever. My fiddle is a brightish instrument, but it's a good sounding fiddle.

The only time I tried a different string was when Pirastro sent me a set of Wondertone Solo...I didn't like them, and happily went back to Dominant. The higher tension of the Wondertone didn't agree with my already bright fiddle, and the A was thin and with the high tension started to dig a channel in my bridge.

I was getting ready to order another set of Dominants (mine are 6 months old) and I thought back to that conversation with the fiddler I mentioned in the opening post. So I didn't push the order button, and decided to ask here.

Then, further curiosity led me to think: "I wonder what a lower tension/more 'gut-like' string" would sound like?" So I thought maybe I should order some Violinos...and probably a set of Dominants in case they're horrible.

Essentially, Mark, it's an experiment. I'm feeling all kinds of bold I guess, and though my experience with Wondertone had scared me off of experimenting for a while, that experience is far enough back now that I'm willing to venture out from my "security blanket". Most other strings I think are similar enough to Dominant (or even simply try to copy) that I don't have any desire to even try...but Violinos are quite different (so the advertising material says) so I want to hear them.

If I wasn't such a wuss, I'd just try gut...but I'm a bit afraid of gut, and I'm sticking with synthetics in my curiosity.

Long answer, I know, but thank you for your attention to my topic and questions.

Cheers!

I just put on a new set of Corelli Crystal on my fiddle tonight and I must say i'm very pleased with the sound and playability.

I had a set of cheap "Huayin" perlon core strings on the fiddle before, and the difference is amazing.

The Corelli e string is perhaps a bit thin but overall i like them. The sound is quite similar to dominant in my opinion and the response is quick, as mentioned here before.