Sign in to follow this  
Froggie

Famous people who also play violin

I am giving lessons to my neighbor, a five year old girl. She comes from a musical family and her father is also teaching her guitar.

She wants to be a movie star (as serious as a little girl can be) and I think that is a fantastic goal. I think that knowing about movie stars who also have a background in violin would be great encouragement to inspire her to practice.

If anyone has a list of appropriate movie stars who also have a background in violin, I would appreciate that very much.

Thanks,

Pat

well, I saw Russell Crowe playing a violin or viola in the movie Master and Commander but I don't know if it was really him playing. Also, supposedly Jessica Alba took violin lessons for six months to play a solo in her new movie The Eye.

Dear Froggie:

I do not have a complete list, but I remember the following

celebrity names:

Dakota Fanning

Reba McEntire

Helen Hunt: took lessons as a child

Meryl Streep

Jack Benny

Roy Clark

Larry Fine: (larry, of "The Three Stooges"-as a teenager he was

very talented and was asked to be a professional violinist,

eventually learned Piano, Clarinet, Saxophone, Brass instruments,

and in his life (after the Stooges) taught music.

Werner Klemperer: (Famous for playing Colonel Klink in

"Hogan's Heroes", was also in over 80 television shows) He also was

a concert violinist and conductor of

Symphony Orchestra. 

Other famous people who played violin:

Patrick Henry: ("give me liberty, or give me death")

Thomas Jefferson: (wrote the Declaration of Independence)

President Woodrow Wilson

Albert Einstein: (the Theory of Relativity)

I am certain that there are more. Hope this helps you.

quote:

Originally posted by:
.Violint.

well, I saw Russell Crowe playing a violin or viola in the movie Master and Commander but I don't know if it was really him playing. Also, supposedly Jessica Alba took violin lessons for six months to play a solo in her new movie The Eye.

I believe Russell Crowe had lessons with Richard Tognetti (the artistic director/leader of the Australian Chamber Orchestra, he is also the one playing the 1743 Guarneri del Gesù) before he starred in this role.

According to Webster's Online Dictionary :

"Nero occurs only in the superscription (which is probably spurious, and is altogether omitted in the R.V.) to the Second Epistle to Timothy. He became emperor of Rome when he was about seventeen years of age (A.D. 54), and soon began to exhibit the character of a cruel tyrant and heathen debauchee. In May A.D. 64, a terrible conflagration broke out in Rome, which raged for six days and seven nights, and totally destroyed a great part of the city. The guilt of this fire was attached to him at the time, and the general verdict of history accuses him of the crime."

Maybe a harp or some stringed instrument but not a fiddle or violin as we know it.

quote:

Originally posted by:
.Violint.

I have no plans to see that movie...but was her solo any good? That would be pretty impressive after six months of lessons.

Wow! This is great. At her last lesson, she mentioned The Three Stooges and how funny they were. I can't wait to tell her about Larry Fine, as weel as the others. She will be very excited.

Pat

Hmmm... 33.3% of stooges vs. one Albert Einstein, and you figure she will gravitate toward the former. Sigh. Oh well, with a little luck she will refine her own discernment by the time she hits double digits.

Well, Jeanine Garrafolo "plays" a violin in "The Truth About Cats and Dogs", but I could easily see it was faked. fingers going the wrong direction on the Prelude to the Bach Partita in E, etc. Of course, that is an argument for learning the violin- that way you can play the ROLE of a violinist and not gross out the actual string players in your audience. "Music from the Heart" would not have been such a good movie for ME, had it not been clear that Meryl Streep actually knew what she was doing with that violin (as opposed to Garrofalo). I wasn't sure about Crowe, either.

Meryl Streep actually learned for a movie, but did quite well in a very short time. Madonna, who originally was going to star in the same movie, before she quit and they hired Meryl Streep, took lessons for about 6-12 months in preparation.

Dudley Moore was quite a good violinist, in addition to a pianist.

I heard/saw Dolly Parton play fiddle once. Weird technique with the really long fingernails, but managed quite well.

Roy Clark.

Russel Crowe just was shown, how to hold the instrument and move the bow, but he never looked comfortable. Kind of like Michael Lamdon in Little House on the Prairie - the real life Mr. Ingles was an avid fiddler.

Did Ephram Zimbalist Jr. Play? His dad was a great violinist.

I don't know about EZ Jr.--but Werner Klemperer ("Colonel Klink") apparently can be seen playing in the violin section of the New Philharmonia Orchestra on the EMI Classics DVD "Otto Klemperer - Beethoven Symphony No. 9."

J.

Yeah, I remember just cringing when watching Michael Landon saw away on his fiddle.

The fingernail thing is kind of when the middle-school, H.S. girls have to make the decision on how serious they are about playing the violin. I have a student I have to remind every week to trim or file her nails down. And she wonders why she's having trouble playing in tune?

I just heard someone say that Alan Greenspan was a musician, possibly a violinist. And I can't think of her name, but there is an anchor/news personality - a woman, on CNN I think that was a good cellist.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Banzai
quote:

Originally posted by:
.Violint.

I have no plans to see that movie...but was her solo any good? That would be pretty impressive after six months of lessons.

Just watched the movie. I think she did alright. They most probably had a professional do the sound recording, but look-wise, she did okay. It was kind of obvious that she wasn't too experienced; her vibrato looked like a slight spasm, her right elbow was a little low, and her bowing was kind of stiff and curved. but I think it could've fooled others who haven't played before. Considering it was only 6 months of lesson, I think she did great. cool movie too.