Maestronet Forums

What Is Peg Drop Made Of ?

Fellow

Hi all,

I see luthier supply has peg drop (small bottle) to stop peg slippery.

I have never thought of myself needing this kind of stuff until now.

I used to use chalk (dust) to take care of peg slippery. This time it

does not work.

It takes too long to order a bottle of this stuff. I can try water to wet the pegs

or any suggests? Thank in advance.

I think you mean "peg dope".

Assuming you have the pegs properly fittted it is essential that you use a very smallquantity of a lubricant. This will allow smooth turning of the pegs without slipping under the pull of the string.

A working solution is the use of either chalk or simple dry soap. If the peg goes difficult use soap, does the peg slip use chalk. Just a light touch on the peg will do becausde the stuff is transferred by turning the peg. Wipe off the excess with a clean and dry cloth.

Frits

This is "peg drop" from catalog of Internal luthier supply Inc. (It is a liquid )

"Liquid Peg Compound - A sure cure for slipping pegs. One drop of this compound will stop slipping pegs immediately.

No need to remove string or peg to apply. 1/2 ounce container with applicator tip. "

BY the way, last hour I used a q-tip to wet the peg holes with water. The slippery seemed have been stopped.. I am glad I tried.

"Peg Drops" are not the same as peg dope. Peg drops are specifically to stop pegs from slipping. A tiny amount is sufficient, and I really don't much care for the stuff, as it seems to mask the real problem which is poorly fitting pegs.

I don't know for sure what is in it-- it looks like very dilute rosin, which makes sense, but probably is something more sophisticated than that.

I have a bottle of peg drops. It will seize up a peg pretty quick, so make sure you get it tuned right away!

It is quite aromatic, and will actually dissolve the black stain used to 'ebonize' pegs on very low-end instruments. That's about the level of instrument Peg Drops are useful for -- when the parents won't pay to have peg work done.

As to putting water in the pegbox, it's a good way to swell up the wood. Temporary at best, but I haven't tried it myself. I'm guessing that if you wanted to get rid of the scroll and the A-string, applying water to the A-peg might be a slow way to do so.

We have folks out to the Weiser (Idaho) fiddle contest in June. Lots of folks from the west side of the Cascades -- or the 'wet' side of the Cascades -- find that their pegs won't hold after a day or so out here. I believe the wood is shrinking up a bit, but I haven't measured it. I use a little peg dope (not drops) to help them, but remind them that they might want to back off the pegs when they get home, and the wood wants to swell back up.