Sign in to follow this  
reepicheep

American Fiddle on Ebay

I can't let this topic disappear unanswered. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have no interest in the violin (it looks nice, actually) but I bought the fly tying book they were selling . Thanks !

I think I remember seeing the violin at Tarisio. It looked like a nice violin but went a bit beyond my price. He isn't listed in Wenberg or Henley, not that it means much. I have seen his violins before also so he must be fairly prolific as indicated by the number on the label.

I prefer to find the best condition possible in American violins. There are some pristine things out there and the best are always worth a premium price. Of course the current price of $122 is unrealistic, but I would rather spend more for perfect, than have to look at that big 'ol crack. Now a big 'ol crack like that isn't a big deal on a 200 year old thing, but on a 100 year old violin, I like to see it look pretty and fresh.

Here's the problem. You pay a premium for a mint thing, use it a lot, and it develops a crack (arggghhh!). Well, unless you get a real artist to repair it, which costs plenty, there goes the premium you paid for mint.

Jesse

He was active from the 1890's to 1920's. His son Drew worked with him. Total output about 700 instruments. I see one occasionally in Kansas City. His best instruments sold for $300 in the Teens, but he also sold imported and reconstructed violins for $25 to $75. I don't know the differences in how they were labeled. Also made some violas and cellos.

By 1927 Drew Collingwood's "De Luxe" violins were bringing as much as $500.

Thanks for all the info everybody! I was just curious, and wondered what it might go for on Tarisio 3 years later now that American fiddles are all the rage! Yeah, that crack is not pretty... at least whoever tried to "fix" it didn't mess up the varnish too bad. I have to slow down on buying fixer-uppers otherwise I'd try and get this one cheap and have my buddy fix it up for me. Unfortunately I've already got oh, about fifteen fixer uppers!!

Ah well!