Sign in to follow this  
DR. S

Are you plugged in?

My kids got me an iPod Nano for Christmas. I think it is really cool, but now they are all over me accusing me of never using it. Okay, the ear-phonec have not fused to my flesh like on my kids (I actually find them very uncomfortable), but I do use it when I get the urge to listen to something and I am glad that I have it. it's easy to use and the sound is great. But this got me to thinking.

My kids and most of their friends seem to spend every waking hour outside of school 'plugged' into their MP3 player. My daughter'r radio is on 24 hours a day, unless I go in and turn it off. I can't imagine doing that. I don't need it - I would find it annoying. In fact, thinking back, I beleive I spend less hours with music on (radio, Hi-Fi, walkman, iPod, etc) than most people I know. I sometimes even (gasp!!!) drive my car without turning on the radio, the ultimate act of weirdness according to my kids.

At first thought, considering how immersed my life is in music, it seems that I would want it on all the time, but the fact is that I really enjoy peace and quiet. But then I realized that I am never without music. If I want it, I can hear it, anywhere, anytime. I don't need an iPod, I can hear Beethoven, or Brahms, or Stravinsky, or Manhattan Transfer, anytime I want to. It's in my head, I have my own built-in stereo and I don't have to rattle the window of the car next to me or damage my eardrums. I love my iPod, but I just don;t ahve to use it all the time.

How about listening to ipod just in front of kids so that they know you appreciate their gift to you. I remember giving a pair of tickets to my dad's favorite singer for thier wedding anniversary gift when I was a teenager. My mom didn't want to go and told me I should go with my friend. I started to cry because I wanted them to go. I thought they would enjoy the music they used to listened to. Your kids probably thought since you love music so much that you would enjoy it and find it useful.

I have and ipod and I also have a subscription to xm radio. I have plenty of classical cds to listen to also. I usually listen to my ipod when I'm exercising indoors or taking a brisk walk outside. But sometimes I prefer to listen to the birds when I'm walking in the mountains.

Depending on my mood and how far I'm driving, I turn the radio on, or I enjoy the peace and quiet. In my house I listen to classical on xm. Not all the time though.

We're all different. I bet your kids would understand that being plugged into an ipod as often as they are, is something you don't feel the urge to do. But you still appreciate having one when you do feel like listening to your music.

quote:

Originally posted by: mommag

How about listening to ipod just in front of kids so that they know you appreciate their gift to you. q]

Where would we men be without you ladies to remind us what should be such an obvious thing. Thanks, I'll be sure to make sure they know how much I appreciate and like the gift.

I've been a minidisc man for years and still happy with it.

I have every CD I own plus a couple of hundred hours of

sring music and chamber music recordings on a handful of 1GB discs

which tarvel with me - a virtual music library.

the convenience of the minidisc being the easy of editing for me.

I'm on my ipod almost 24 hours a day, hehe. You get used to the

headphones after a while. I remember I used to hate those

headphones that you had to stick in your ear. But now I prefer

those because they're a bit more discreet.