hey folksI've been playing the violin for about 4 years now. I

wasn't really serious about it until now though. But anyways, I

have this amateur-ish problem where sometimes when I do a down bow

using the whole bow, the bow starts to bounce a little. I'm usually

pretty good at solving my own problems by experimenting different

ways, but this one has me stumped. The only way I've been able to

get around it so far was by moving my violin upwards so that it

sort of forces the bow hair to stay on it. But I shouldn't have to

do that I think.If anyone has some advice that would sure be great.

thanks in advance.

Not real good on diagnostics but here goes:

Try to achieve a sense of more weight coming from the shoulder

rather than applying it through the hand, if that makes sense?

And keep that sense of pressure as constant as possible.

(Someone described the sensation as a bit like

"driving down hill with the hand-brake on".)

good luck

In addition to bowing technique as indicated by Omobono, also consider that the bow may also be contributing. Weaker sticks will wobble more easily.

Try various types at a music store, both wood and carbon fibre. You may be pleasantly surprised.

My son's teacher tells him, when you play whole bow, (especially) like Omobono said, you need to keep the pressure as constant as possible meaning you need to lighten the pressure a little bit toward frog and more toward the tip because of the weight of the frog is heavier than that of the tip, if you keep the same amount of pressure, the sound at the frog will be louder, on the other hand if you don't put enough pressure toward the tip it will be weaker thus makes the bow bounce a bit.

The first thing I would check is the height of the upper arm. It should be parallel to the bow--if it is too low, downbows will bounce. Practicing Martelé is one of the best ways to establish proper arm height.

Ron

Violint. All good advice, especially rcmacd. Practice bowing on the G string a few minutes. This will force you to raise

your upper arm close to the proper height, and help you control the bounce. Mine bounces when I drink too much coffee.

Leaving out the quality of your bow...

I bet this happens mostly on the A string, and sometimes on the E. Perhaps after you've tilted the violin to play on your lower strings?

Lift your elbow, and don't leave your violin tilted for the G string. I've found that bow bounce on the upper, particularly A string(s), occurs mainly if I've allowed my elbow to drop.

Cheers!

This is a matter of muscle development in right arm, hand, wrist, fingers ad entire upper body in general.

Keep bowing slow fast what ever, (o'sevcik), let it jump, buggy, dance, shake what ever for a while, until the muscles are built,, then at the end you will start feeling and controlling every movement of bow regardless where it is tip, hill etc..

Short cut: Work on full slow bowing 4-6 hours every day, look at the mirror if your bow is 90 degree to the strings,, this helps to build right muscles..

Violint ~ I'm sorry that I don't remember the author of this hint to help with bow bounce, but it was: Tighten, or squeeze, the thunb a little more while holding the bow. This not the same as tightening the grip, which is a no-no. It does seem to help. The other tips here are really good! Shirley

Pronation of the right forearm as you pass the middle of the bow, and relieveing any pressure of the right pinky on the bow will apply the necessary pressure from your index finger without even giving it a thought.

However, it is possible to have a bow that is too heavy near the frog (often due to too much metal (especially silver) winding on the stick in that area). This causes the tip to be relatively too light and even a very good bow that has been mistreated by luthiers in that fashion can be very hard to control (even though it feels wonderful in the hand). I had one such, and by removing all the silver and going to a much lighter (faux whalebone winding) the problems were solved.

Andy

The bow should play itself. Down-bows fall naturally through gravity...by using gravity.

If you truly let a bow fall naturally...it will fall in a straight line, and it won't hop or skip.

Hopping and skipping is often caused by too much finger/hand/wrist/lower-arm into the bow.

You will find that by physically doing less, and letting the bow do more...you will gain the control that you seek.

The answer is to always direct the bow with the upper arm. The upper arm is what is active...everything below it...the lower-arm/wrist/hand/fingers are passive and follow the upper-arm.

watch these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFwgPTAE7j8

and compare the angle of the upper-arm and fore-arm across the entire bow length...to the angle of your upper-arm and fore-arm as you draw the bow. generally the angle remains fixed until the upper portions of the bow.

when the forearm is active you will find that the angle opens and closes much more (not good)...then when the upper-arm is active the forearm is passive (good).