Sign in to follow this  
mommag

Happy Holidays!

Actually, I'm trying to do both. It just gets really tough to practice when you are so tired, but I manage to do it anyway. even if it is only for an hour or so. Always pick up your violin at least once per day. It's astonishing how quickly you fall out of your skills when you don't practice.

You guys are getting A+ grade! It's funny, PhilipG, you mentioned "how quickly you fall out of your skill." I remember reading somewhere Heifetz said "If you don't practice for one day, you notice yourself. If you don't practice for three days, your colleague will notice. If you don't practice for one week, your audience will notice." That's exactly what my ballet teacher told us when I was young. She was trained by a Russian teacher. Is this a famouse wisdom from Russia?

I'm guilt tripping myself right at this moment because I'm not practicing. It's difficult driving 17 miles home from work, getting a bite to eat, getting a fire going in my chilly house, shoveling snow, and then playing my violin. I tell myself I can at least do some exercises and run through difficult passages.

I try to play at least five days a week. I do love to play. Especially when my quartet group gets together.

Lisa

quote:

Originally posted by:
mommag
Is this a famouse wisdom from Russia?

My Russian violin teacher says more or less the same thing. Its good advice to live by.

As for my practicing, I find it so much easier to get practice time in during the holidays because I'm a student, I don't have to worry about making a good grade in math, or writting some ridiculous paper for english. Just glourious hours of me and my cello.

And then there's college auditions....

I have a Hogmanay (New Year's Eve) dance to play for so am running through a lot of Scottish country dance sets. Have managed to play about a half hour to hour a day during my break. Things have slowed down a lot since the first part of December when I had something like 5 gigs in 2 weeks, so I've been able to relax a bit! Had intended to find some time during the holidays to find time to play through a bunch of Scottish tune books that I got during the Fall but so far have been too busy...

I'm thinking of bringing a practice violin to work, so I can get in 30 minutes or so during a lunch break. Normally, though, I am so tired at lunch time that I simply go out to my car to catch some light zzzzz's.