Maestronet Forums

E String Suggestion

richardz

Is there any reason why it has to be a wound E? I doubt that any wound E will be particularly bright.

Plain E's come in many types and flavours. Not all are plain steel - there are different gauges which will affect the tone, is chromium steel, tin-plated steel, gold-plated steel, etc.

Why don't you start by trying something like Pirastro Wondertone, or Universal? The Warchal E is also very nice - I think it is a heavier-gauge plain steel. The Lenzner Goldbrokat E is supposed to be a non-whistling plain E.

Thanks for the responses Jacob and Andrew.

I previously tried Pirastro Gold Label (heavy), Goldbrokat and Jargar plain E's and they sounded thin, (as I said previously they didn't seem to drive the violin) that's when I opted for the wound Dominant. It sounded fuller but now I'm looking for brighter and fuller. Whistling is not a problem. I will check out the Kaplan solutions next if that is a wound string, and then the other suggestions.

P.S. Andrew: I noticed a previous post of yours describing one of the violins you use the Kaplan on as: "rich with a powerful low end (lots of fundamental)" That describes my violin well. Maybe we're on the right track here.

Thanks again, will report back.

• 3 years later...

I have a dilema: I need to find Lenzner strings for some customers, but the manufaccturing company has split into 2. One still makes the original Lenzner Goldbrokat E, and the other says it makes the exact same cheaper under another name: Fisoma. Has anyone compared, are they the exact same ?

I have a dilema: I need to find Lenzner strings for some customers, but the manufaccturing company has split into 2. One still makes the original Lenzner Goldbrokat E, and the other says it makes the exact same cheaper under another name: Fisoma. Has anyone compared, are they the exact same ?

The E strings are so cheap that it's worth buying 10-15 different kinds and try them on your violin. The Hill brand is usually very good, as is Goldbrokat (both of which I tried) and Jargar. I tried once the kaplan non whistling wounded E and it killed all the sound (plus it was a nightmare to shift. My fingers were stuck to the string)

I tried the gold Obligato E string and it was whistling from time to time but very comfortable. Why don't you try the Evah Pirazzi E string. It's very bright and powerful.

It is not for me, as I am a maker/ dealer (quite new in the business), but for a customer.

I am not do keen on the Pirastro E's as I find they do whistle, especially the gold ones. The Hill stuff as the Westminster stuff work well. The Goldbrokat and the Fimosa are probably the cheapest on the market that is why people are so keen on getting them ! as they are issued from the same factory, I am just wondering if it is just the packaging that is different...

The Lenzner strings are also very good E-strings, in addition to being cheap! Westminster is another great E-string, Kaplan golden spiral as well. I don't know about the Fisoma string, so I can't help you there :mellow:

I don't care much for any of the gold strings, and the dominant E lacks a lot in brilliance (except for players that secretly want to play the viola).

I know you say you're not keen on Pirastro, but they also make a wound E in Tonica flavor. If you're up to try some lesser-priced American brands, Super-Sensitive makes wound Es in Red Label, Sensicore, Pinnacle and Old Fiddler varieties. La Bella makes one wound E as part of their "Perlon" set, and don't forget that there's a Helicore wound E, too. There's also Thomastik Superflexible.

I recently put a Vision Titanium Solo E string on a violin and am really impressed, as well as some players that have played on it. If cost were not an issue I would start putting it on more violins. I would describe it as rich and powerful.

The Vision Titanium sets are quite impressive, generally speaking !

I usually put Obligato on decent fiddles, but they cost an arm as well so I shall try those more often :)

A local orchestra mentionned to me the Damian Dlugolecki gut strings for a particular need, only sold in the US, a bit more problematic for me (in the EU), but I am trying to having some sent over...

Anyway, the price of the Lenzner IS impressively low, I can understand people are hooked !

A local orchestra mentionned to me the Damian Dlugolecki gut strings for a particular need, only sold in the US, a bit more problematic for me (in the EU), but I am trying to having some sent over...

They are available from here in the UK:

http://www.londonviolins.com/Accessories/Baroque_Classical_Strings/baroque_classical_strings.html

They have a good mailing service.

I have used Gamut strings as well, which are excellent.

Andrew

As always I would heavily recommend Warchal Karneol - I've tried every string in the book and for some reason Karneol are perfect for me, definitely superior to Evah Parazzi, Obligato, Dominant, Larsen, Infeld etc ...

I've set up about 300 violins with them, and sold dozens of sets to customers.

There was a minor problem with the silk at the bottom of the E string, which would unthread slightly if you handled it too much. I pointed this out to Warchal a few weeks ago, they immediately re-designed the string and sent me a dozen free samples and a big thankyou. I was impressed.

The E string is great value, and tonally it's excellent. On rare occasions I use a Pirastro Oliv E, but generally these days I find if I use Karneol, then the problem's the set-up not the string.

Martin Swan Violins

They are available from here in the UK:

http://www.londonviolins.com/Accessories/Baroque_Classical_Strings/baroque_classical_strings.html

They have a good mailing service.

I have used Gamut strings as well, which are excellent.

Andrew

I wish I had known that. I bought gut strings from Gamut 1 year ago. Excellent strings really, and surprisingly break in almost immediately and stay in tune. But I paid $25 for the strings (very cheap given the quality) and $28 for the shipping... :)

It is a very old post indeed ! I am glad you've found the E string that fitted your violin !

Last night I went to a concert where the violin solo guy asked the orchestra to be fitted with Passione Gut wound strings and E Lenzners for everyone.

Isn't it a bit weird, as everyone knows each violin responds differently to strings brands ? :o

I understand he wanted a "gut" sound for his Beethoven violin concerto, but why this brand more than another one ? So that's why everyone came to me wanting Lenzner E's all of a sudden.

I'm just guessing here...offhand, it sounds like he wanted a certain mellower orchestral sound so that he would have his (probably) brilliant sound over the top and more audible? If I remember correctly the Lenzer e sound is excellent and full but maybe has a little less edge and brilliance than some others like the Hill(?)

Also for people here experimenting with heavy E's for the first time: It will change the response of all the other strings to some degree. The higher tension of the E takes some of the load off the other strings. This is sometimes a favorable thing on certain violins, and is one of the parameters to experiment with when going for the optimum sound of an instrument. Someone here pointed that out to me in the past and I am grateful for the knowledge.